• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Original US Mint packaging

8 posts in this topic

Do you care about it? A lot of slabbed modern commems don't come with the original packaging anymore, however you can sometimes find them on eBay (without coins). If you collect slabbed moderns, do you care about the original US Mint packaging or not?

Do you think original mint packaging will become more valuable say 10-20 years down the road?

I would think that anyone slabbing thier coins just makes the packaging they get back a bunch of fire hazard paper? The original mint side of it kind of goes away once it's slabbed from someone else anyway. Who's to prove it's the original coin anyway, not the packaging.

Well, I think the question to ask would be does anyone care about mint packaging from, say, early 20th century commemoratives. My impression is that nobody saved it, and it's worth, at best, a small premium as a curiosity. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am. As for modern packaging, it seems like there's never going to be a lack fo it, so whatever it may be worth in 2106, it probably won't be worth much.

Some of the classic commem holders can fetch over $1,000 per holder and the more common holders, such as the Lexington, can still get $50 per holder.

With some of the Mint items I sell on eBay that are not certified, the packaging has been an important requirement, even for items like the State Quarter First Day Covers. FDCs that have been opened sell for less than fully Mint sealed items. I have had difficult time selling 1965-67 SMS that were placed into Capital Plastics holders. Unless they are certified, they will sell only in Mint packaging.

Originally, the Mint never intended for these sets to survive in their packaging. They thought that collectors would transfer the coins into something like the Capital Plastics or Whitman holders, so they did not design the packages to last. The Mint started producing display and longer-term storage packages in the early 1970s.

Bottom line... if the coins are certified, the package is irrelevant. If the coins are not certified, the packaging is important to those who do not collect TPG certified Mint products.

Scott hi.gif