• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

(Venting) Ticked at the Mint (and Post Office)

22 posts in this topic

sign-rantpost.gif

I ordered the 20th Anniversary Silver set on August 30 within the first hour of it being available. It didn't ship until October 30, even though many people who ordered theirs after I did got it before me. Now, over 2 weeks later, it still hasn't gotten here. And the Post Office tracking number they gave me apparently doesn't exist according to the Post Office's web site.

So I called the Mint yesterday. I was on hold for 15 minutes before I hung up. Several hours later I called again, and the first person I spoke with (until my cell phone died mad.gif ) had one of the thickest Southern accents I've heard and I could hardly understand her. When I called back (after plugging my phone in), I got a person with one of the thickest Indian accents I've ever heard and I could barely understand him.

I was eventually able to figure out, after asking him to repeat himself several times, that they don't investigate anything unless it's been 30 days since an item's shipped. They don't even look at it.

Then he told me something that was either a huge lie or one of the stupidest things I've ever heard: Post Office tracking numbers don't work or are even said to exist until the item's been delivered. Does this make sense to anyone!? Doesn't that defy the entire purpose of a "tracking" number if you can't track where your package is?

So, I'm pretty ticked off at the Mint now, and the post office, and if that's not true about the post office, then I'm even more ticked off at the Mint. Grawer.

He's right. USPS tracking numbers aren't usable until after delivery. Sometimes they never work at all. There's no use trying to trace anything before 30 days, because that's the earliest USPS will even allow them to request it.

You wonder why people go postal?

First rule in customer service. Lie to the customer and make them go away.

All my registered and express mail USPS packages can be tracked online at www.usps.com.

TRUTH

I wish I had your luck. Such is not my experience, covering hundreds of packages over many years. Of course, I ship Registered or Express very infrequently - the last time was an ANACS submission earlier this year, and the information for that one never appeared in the system at all.

It is how it is .. It scanned at the Originating Location and scanned at the

Destination location so if it never arrives then it is not traceable BY US ONLINE. After 30 days the USPS will track it truck to truck and carrier to carrier to find out its location .. Before 30 days it assumed delayed and not lost After 30 days it assumed lost and located ( Hopefully ) Good Luck

I am having the same issues, mine was supposedly mailed on 11/1 but it said it was mailed Parcel Post which is why I still have nothing after 2 weeks. I think the person was right about the tracking number, especially since this one was supposedly shipped Parcel Post, for which the tracking number never seems to work. Last coin I got was had a tracking number and to this day it still doesn't show up on the USPS website even though I got the package a couple weeks ago.

Same with me. Shipped Oct 30 - nothing, nada,zip. They said their standard mail is - get this - PARCEL POST. You can upgrade to "USPS" and that will go first class. I wish they would have said something.

Lets keep this link going. Either the Mint did not ship or someone at the post office stole all of ours. I think if we do not receive after 30 days, that we all fill out the tracking at the post office and file it. If we all do not get it, then I'd be willing to bet someone has their hand in the cookie jar.

Christo_pull_hair.gif

This is really strange .. I think they are covering ther A$$'$ as whenever I have ordered from the MINT EVERY TIME has been automatically upgraded to Priority at no cost smile.gif .. Sorry guys you are stuck with a bunch of excuse filled ROBOTS and I hope you get yer stuff

I have to admit that I feel much better to know that John and jtryka are in the same situation as I. I guess misery really does love company. But I definitely agree with John that as soon as November 29 hits, I'll be headed to the Post Office and calling the Mint ... and posting here, too.

I don't know... in more recent days, the Mint has been shipping the more expensive coins via FedEx ground. My American Gold Buffalo was shipped via FedEx. Other orders, such as the Return from Monticello set, first day covers, and mint sets, came "standard mail" with no problems.

sign-rantpost.gif However, I am ticked off that people have received their 20th anniversary coins and I have not. According to the Mint, my account says that the uncirculated silvers are scheduled to be shipped on 11/22 and the 20th anniversary sets on 12/8. Both orders were placed in September!

Scott Christo_pull_hair.gif

Well, good news! My set arrived today! It has a nice box and packaging, but the plastic capsules holding the coins seem to big for the holes in the box, so they were just laying loose inside. Fortunately unlike the SF Mint coins, the capsules were sealed so no damage to the coins.

As for the shipping, it was odd. Based on the return addresses and such on the box it seemed like they were shipped by DHL from the Mint center in TN to a local drop off point in my town, and then from there they were sent USPS to my house. Never seen anything like that before. Hope yours arrive soon!

I received an email from the Mint saying that the credit card that I used was expiring at the end of the month and to call to update. I called the Mint's number and updated the credit card. I hope they don't screw this up!

Scott foreheadslap.gif

I placed my order in September after I found out about the 20th Anniversary Set. One was supposed to be a birthday present for my father, whose birthday is in October.

sign-rantpost.gif The way the Mint handles these pre-sales is ridiculous!

Scott Christo_pull_hair.gif

Mine came today. And I'm still p***ed. I opened the case and I saw two coins and an empty plastic holder. I lifted up one of the coins in its holder, and underneath it was the uncirculated dollar, completely loose. And the holder that was empty was sealed tight.

Come on! WTF!!

Mine came today. And I'm still p***ed. I opened the case and I saw two coins and an empty plastic holder. I lifted up one of the coins in its holder, and underneath it was the uncirculated dollar, completely loose. And the holder that was empty was sealed tight.

Come on! WTF!!

That is sooo much a Pisser....Call and raise helll with them.. mad.gif

What would calling them solve? I've filled out the return slip and will be requesting an exchange ... but yeah, what would calling them solve?

By the way, the uncirculated dollar is incredibly scratched on the high points of the obverse design. Incredible piece of c**p.

What would calling them solve? I've filled out the return slip and will be requesting an exchange ... but yeah, what would calling them solve?

By the way, the uncirculated dollar is incredibly scratched on the high points of the obverse design. Incredible piece of c**p.

Nothing gets fixed if people don't speak up.You HAVE to call.

Is there a number that I can call where they speak English and will actually do something? I'm just opposed to calling for two reasons. First, the last time I called (see my first post here), I spoke with two different people, and both of them were extraodinarily difficult to understand. Second, they're just an outsourced company, with no relation to the Mint other than through a contract.

I can tell you exactly what would happen when I call: I explain what the situation is, that this is the second set of coins I've gotten in the space of a month that's arrived damaged, and I'm sending it back and I want it replaced. They'll tell me to fill out the form and mail it off, and I'll tell them that I already have, and they're going to say thank you, bye, and then go off and not think about it.

Meanwhile, I'll still be ticked off and have to wait two more months for coins that I hope won't be damaged this time, and be out for postage for a 2-lb shipment plus insurance.

So, as I asked/said, I don't know what calling them will solve, unless I can actually speak with someone who has some authority, which won't be at that 1-800 number.

Everybody has a Boss.

Now I am going to bore you with a story...I was 5 or 6 ,,I can't remember it has been a while.....I am from a large family.9 kids 2 parents and my Grandmother and we were all living in a 3 bedroom brick colonial when the last child was born.

So my father went in search of another place where we could move.

He found a house.A 5 bedroom Victorian that was HUGE and perfect for our large family....Seriously,,The upstairs was twice the size of where we were living..So he did all the paperwork and sent in all the info for the VA loan app and we waited....And waited....Finally the Realtor called and told my dad that the VA had declined the loan....Dad was devastated and as usual he found solace in a bottle of Jim Beam.....About half way through he said F**k it and picked up the phone....About 6:30 pm he called President Johnson and got through to his private Secretary.....At 8:30 am the Realtor was at the door with the contract for the New House....

I swear to you this a true story...