• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anyone every tried to microwave a coin in a slab?

9 posts in this topic

Just curious. When I accidentally placed some aluminum foil in the microwave, a spark show started. It got me to wonder, would the slab explode, would silver coins turn AT, would gold coins channel the microwaves toward your brain, would the microwave explode and cause bodily injury? Just wondering. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

TRUTH

There's one way other than the Socratic method to find out. As an investigative expert in the field of artificial toning, it's your duty to determine this once and for all. Maybe someone would be willing to sponsor the experiment with one of those sample slabs that seem so popular... 27_laughing.gif

Beijim

I have a sample kennedy slab whose life I will sacrifice. I need a person to donate their microwave. Results posted if a nuclear reaction does not take place.

TRUTH 893whatthe.gif

Do the experiment outside, at a safe distance. The energy waves generated are not good for you and may start a fire, plus ruining a perfectly good coin and slab. Have a fire extinquisher on hand and don't expect to salvage the microwave for any other use afterwards.

I was under the impression that you could put metal in a microwave under certain circumstances (the metal never touched any part of the microwaze, it was wrappen in plastic, etc).

I never tried it, but I did microwaze a meal with a fork stuck in it. The micro worked just fine, but I did see sparks from inside the micro.

Greg's correct.

There are many microwave oven myths, among them that any metal at all inside a microwave will ruin your day. Not true. The thing to avoid is arcing. That's what can start fires.

The microwave oven I've used for 10+ years came from the manufacturer with a metal cooking rack similar to the one in regular ovens. The rack's purpose is to allow you to center food vertically in the oven. Using it causes no problems.

I just waved a quarter (unslabbed) for ten seconds at high power. I placed the quarter on an upside down Pyrex custard dish. As expected, nothing occurred. No arcing, no heating, no discoloration, nothing.

Frankly, I don't recommend bothering with the experiment. It's unlikely to yield any interesting results and only misuses the oven. And if you're a kid reading this, your parents will kill you when they find out you tried it.

grin.gif

Beijim

Well, I am currently posting from SLO county hospital, burn ward. Tried experiment. Blew up the microwave, most of the kitchen, part of my dog's tail and most of my hair. The door came flying off with such a force. The slab blew a hole right through the side of the microwave. The coin was a redhot projectile and I think it landed in the side of my neighbor's fence. Fire response is really good out here, took less than two minutes for firetrucks and ambulance to arrive. Neighbors thought I was making bombs, and one went off. Quite embarrasing to see them shake their heads while most of my head was burnt. Should cost me $5000 to fix me up and the house. 893whatthe.gif Now, if you believe me. 893naughty-thumb.gif

TRUTH