• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What was the first Seated coin you ever bought?

15 posts in this topic

Mine was a 1876-CC quarter that I bought about when I was about 12 for $10. Its a VG.....and I hold it dearly in my collection. I've got BUs and Proofs but this one is my favorite. Something about CC Seated coins that just "does it" for me. My second favorite is a 1847 dollar. I bought it when I worked in a coin store as a teenager. I was making about $4 an hour. I paid it off in "hours". I think it took about 50 hours to pay off. The hard work that I had to put in to pay it off makes it that much more enjoyable. We all (hopefully) have coins like this......

Seth

BTW--The Pan-Pac set took _____ hours.....

Had to pay strong money for a really nice 1861 P in PC 5. Got it from Bowers on the recommendation of John Pack & I like the coin. It has clashed dies & is very clean..

I remember long ago buying a seated dime from a mail order ad in "Coins" magazine. It was supposed to be XF, ended up being a soft VF (no surprise there). Since then I've learned to hate mail order, but love Seated coins. I buy no-problem XF stuff like the coin attached. Nothing too expensive, but nice and original.

206573-1858Qrev.jpg.6442562899b15225f5458adc5b710458.jpg

An XF Seated, Small stars, 1837 Seated Dime. Sold to me raw as an AU, of course. Didn't matter. It was my first pre-1850 silver coin. Followed shortly thereafter by an AU55, toned, N/D SL Dime. Both coins were naturally toned with no cleaning. I built my first (raw) Dime type set around these coins, mostly nice AU SL and BU later dated coins.

Sold that set years ago and am now building a certified, higher graded, Dime Type Set. The beautiful specimen dime pictures in Norman Stack's, illustrated "United States Type Coins" have always motivated me on choosing coins for this set.

I'm not a big fan of seated coins, but I do remember my first. It was an 1870-S 10¢ that I got out of an auction. I only remember it for two reasons. 1) I got it really cheap. 2) I kept watching the pop reports for this coin and there were VERY few graded for a long period of time.

As was my intention when I purchased it, I ended up selling it for a nice profit. Probably should have kept it since they don't come up for sale often.

Today I don't own any Seated coins, but I plan on adding a nice 20¢ and a Gobrecht dollar to my collection.

It was an AU 1856-S Seated half, probably 30 years ago. I have been collecting the Seated Halves ever since. I very much like the design and all the great American history that occured during it's mintage. I still have the coin and a "few" to go with it.

1849 doller in Vg. I bought it nearly 20 years ago in Hawaii. Although it's well worn, I was impressed by it's design, size and weight!! I don't know why, but I'm collecting smallest denom of seated coinage now 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

My first Liberty Seated coin was an 1838 No Drapery half dime in VG. It was the second "old coin" (the first was an 1846 large cent)I ever bought in my life, and I was 11 years old, and Eisenhower was still the President. I still have both pieces as keepsakes. cloud9.gif

When I was kid I would trade sports cards and use lunch money to get coins from other kids and think I did get one or two seated dimes that I have long lost and forgotten. When I grew up and starting working earning money the coin bug would occasionally bite me and the first seated coin I remember buying was a 1846-O dollar in Fine condition. When I bought it, it was like I had achieved my numismatic dreams. Seated dollars were thought to always be out of my reach.

Now when I look at it, nothing really happens inside like toned morgans and proof barber halves do to me now but it sure did the trick for me back then.