• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Look for NGC Label and Hologram

32 posts in this topic

Dena,

Besides these two cosmetic changes, has anything else changed? The last time NGC changed the holder, the physical dimensions of the new slab changed ever so slightly that they don't stack well with the earlier slabs.

EVP

A few comments:

I'd love to see the bar code and cert number moved to the back. I know that some dealers like it on the front since it is easier, but if they are that lazy that they can't flip over a slab for a split second, then they shouldn't be catered to.

I'm strongly against putting a web address on the slab. Looks like a gimmick to me. Next month maybe we won't be using the www or .com part of the address. Technology moves so fast that you never know. Do you want to have outdated slabs in the marketplace? If you must, put it in the hologram on the reverse.

The hologram should be on the inside of the slab. I know I mentioned this before and Rick commented on it.

Is that the ANA logo? I thought they were changing it to that awful drawing? Maybe it is something else they are changing. Anyway, don't renew the contract as their official grading service. Why rent when you can buy for $3,000?

Perhaps the date/denomination could also be bold so they really stick out? It would take emphasis off the cert number and the bar code.

Maybe lighten the insert picture colors? I can't read the date of the coin on the insert.

I hope these inserts won't "buckle" like the previous ones.

I still think NEON colored slabs would be really cool and lots of collectors would send them in to try it out. Then NGC would make lots of money and sponsor more lunches, like at long beach. Then we all could see Dena in her leather skintight outfit.

TRUTH

...The last time NGC changed the holder, the physical dimensions of the new slab changed ever so slightly...

True, and the NGC boxes will not close all the way! 893frustrated.gif

I like it. It's better than what you have now, and I like what you have now too.

Greg's right though: Move the barcode off the obverse and place it on the reverse.

Also the web address is OK but agree, again, it could be placed, if at all, on the reverse.

"Less is more". Keeping the obverse label insert clean should be a priority. But, it is good.

Very interesting.

The ANA logo on the current NGC slab has the old ANA logo that was changed about 6-7 years ago. Check it out. The eagle with a line across it.

Now NGC changes the ANA logo and it will quickly be out of date. Will NGc change this to the new ANA logo as stated by the ANA press release?:

"The Association's Bylaws (Article III, Section 9) require that companies using the member logo for advertising or promotional purposes must also include the name or names and membership numbers of one or more principal officers of the firm. Use of all previous ANA member logos must be discontinued by August 1, 2003."

Cameron Kiefer

i really like it

especially so the bold numerical grade and designation

i like it lots!!!!! also the reverse new holigram i also like it............... excellent

a slight change but a really REALLY good improvement looks professional crisp and clean

sincerely michael

Better Halogram. What is Variety Designation artwork going to look like? Don't make the serial number as small as the "T" designation coins. Their S/N's were hard to read.

How will they stack with existing NGC Slabs?

Gotta agree with Greg about the bar code and the web address. Both are tacky. And I'll second the denomination being in bold - it's more important than the grade in most cases. With the scales in the background the denomination is tough to read.

Has the problem with the pitted plastic been resolved?

There's a heck of a lot of room on the label for things like step counts! grin.gif But here's what I like best: "Another change to the label will be found on the line where the grade appears." I was hoping you'd follow that by, "higher grades for Hoot", but what the hell. insane.gif

Hoot

I like the new look, but I agree with Greg that the pesky hologram should be on the inside. I've got so many NGC slabs that the hologram has been tattered or completely pulled of from dealers placing stickers on them.

Andy laugh.gif

I like the new look, but I agree with Greg that the pesky hologram should be on the inside. I've got so many NGC slabs that the hologram has been tattered or completely pulled of from dealers placing stickers on them.

Andy laugh.gif

True 'dat 893frustrated.gif

Hi Dena,

Now you know I hate being critical of NGC, but:

Bar code on the front !!!!! UGGGHHH Why do BOTH services have the stupid ugly bar codes on the front ?????????

The date & denomination are illegible .. the font is too small, and they should be bold face. Plus the scale motif is too strong and makes it difficult to read the insert. BAD DESIGN !!!

I also agree with Greg that the hologram should be inside, and the web address should go away. Anyone with half a brain who wanted to find you on the web could just search for "NGC" anyway.

Sunnywood

I think the design is well balanced overall, but the scales in the backround are too distracting form the coin info. I have no problem with the barcode on the front, and besides, where on the back would you put it anyway? There is only one label, after all, and the hologram, I believe (?), is done where the slabs are manufactured, not by NGC on a coin by coin basis. I do think the web address is a bit tacky, but, one must admit that, with the popularity of the internet today, especially considering the registry and this forum, it only makes sense to refere NGC customers to this great place!

I see no reason why the barcode cannot be engraved on the coin itself. It would make the slab and insert look cleaner and, after all, isn't that what we're collecting anyway?

-------------->Just joking. smirk.gif

• Administrator

Hrm... not that I mess with slabs much, but the dislike of the web addy on there seems odd... Web addresses are here to stay for a good long time, and making rich information about the company that graded the coin easily and quickly available to people seems like a great idea. It's currently difficult to find any kind commercial communication with a company name that doesn't have a web address. Business cards, ads, brochures, letter head, invoices, etc. etc.

It seems very germaine to me...

Hrm... not that I mess with slabs much, but the dislike of the web addy on there seems odd... Web addresses are here to stay for a good long time

Maybe, maybe not. Technology moves so fast that you never know when something will go out of style. Could it really be that far off before you type NGC into the address bar and it finds the correct web site instead of having to type www.ngccoin.com? I know that a company was trying to do this a few years ago.

and making rich information about the company that graded the coin easily and quickly available to people seems like a great idea. It's currently difficult to find any kind commercial communication with a company name that doesn't have a web address. Business cards, ads, brochures, letter head, invoices, etc. etc.

I think it is the placement of the info rather than the info itself. I find no reason why it can't be on the hologram on the reverse. Personally, I'd like to see as little stuff on the insert as possible. Give me the date, denomination, grade, and variety. I don't need the company name, the web address, the scales of justice, the company logo, the certificate number, the bar code, etc. All that is just clutter.

Arch !!! You're a web architect (otherwise known as a webhead) for $'s sake!!! Of COURSE you don't mind the web address !!! laugh.gif But it's unduly commercial, and quite unnecessary. Anyone who even knows what a web address is would be able to find NGC on the web in 30 seconds or less even without the web address !!!

Sunnywood

Hrm... not that I mess with slabs much, but the dislike of the web addy on there seems odd... Web addresses are here to stay for a good long time, and making rich information about the company that graded the coin easily and quickly available to people seems like a great idea. It's currently difficult to find any kind commercial communication with a company name that doesn't have a web address. Business cards, ads, brochures, letter head, invoices, etc. etc.

It seems very germaine to me...

Every item you mentioned, business cards; brochures and invoices are given out FREELY or as part of the service. We are PAYING for the 'slab' and 'insert' via the grading fees.

But, even a better arguement than that, I would think if you receive a 100% smackdown on an idea from your core principles, NGC would/should at least consider the option of honoring those intelligent suggestions other than simply putting the blinders on and proceeding as scheduled regardless.

One last point: I recently had my car professionally detailed and was somewhat taken aback when I noticed the detail shop had placed a promotional plastic license plate frame with their business name and phone number on my car.Paid services should NOT be subjected to giving free advertising to the party that provided the service.

Having your web address on a holder that houses MY coin seems cheap and somewhat exploitative.

Web addresses are here to stay for a good long time, and making rich information about the company that graded the coin easily and quickly available to people seems like a great idea.

Hey, that's what I said too! smirk.gif

The changes are so-so. I agree the web address is a bit tacky. Before the web, did NGC place their 1-800 # on the slabs? I think not.

I'd lose the blah brown background color. Almost seems depressing.

The ANA logo is awful, and I wouldn't include that either. Doesn't NGC have a company logo? Just about anything would be better than the ANA logo.

"Doesn't NGC have a company logo? Just about anything would be better than the ANA logo."

The company logo is on top. NGC bid real $ to be the official grading service of the ANA and gets the rights to put the ANA logo on their slab. Taking the logo off would be dumb and they might as well not bid.

Cameron Kiefer

"Doesn't NGC have a company logo? Just about anything would be better than the ANA logo."

The company logo is on top. NGC bid real $ to be the official grading service of the ANA and gets the rights to put the ANA logo on their slab. Taking the logo off would be dumb and they might as well not bid.

Agreed, NGC was dumb to bid for the rights to the ANA logo.

Perhaps NGC keeps stats from submissions from ANA members, but I can't imagine it is a profitable business arrangement for them.

Yes I do, and so they could say they are the official grading service of the ANA.

You no longer have to submit coins through the ANA to NGC and anyone can submit coins now. What else did they buy? They have the bragging rights of the official service and the logo on their slab.

Cameron Kiefer

Yes I do, and so they could say they are the official grading service of the ANA.

You no longer have to submit coins through the ANA to NGC and anyone can submit coins now. What else did they buy? They have the bragging rights of the official service and the logo on their slab.

They bought advertising. It was a marketing decision. Same as buying ads in Numismatic News or the Numismatist. When the deal was done they got "free" press. It was written about in all the coin rags.

The ANA logo on the slab is probably a MINOR reason to do this deal. I hope they don't switch to the new ANA logo since I would be embarrassed to have that piece of [!@#%^&^] on my slab.

Submitting the coins first to the ANA was a PITA and a delay. Now all ANA members can submit to NGC easier without joining some club. Easier than PCGS.

Greg- I'm glad someone said it: That Peace dollar head with a NON-Peace dollar date (1891) is lame. Very lame.

Were Collectors really crying out for a new logo?

Please move the web address to the reverse, make the date/mintmark and denomination bold, definitely move the bar code to the reverse and keep in mind that the ANA has stated that by September all entities using its logo must use the new, insipid, dumbed-down, better-spend-it-now-before-my-meth-crazed-nephew-gets-his-hands-on-it logo.