• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gobrecht Dollar Poll

Which is the most beautiful Gobrecht variety?  

267 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the most beautiful Gobrecht variety?

14 posts in this topic

The Gobrecht Dollar is one of the all time finest US coin designs. But which variety is the best - no stars obverse or reverse, stars obverse and reverse, stars obverse with no stars reverse or no stars obverse with stars reverse???

I think that the No Stars Liberty Seated coins were the best. It was a nice clean design, almost like a little cameo. When the mint added stars to the half dime and dime the strikes went down hill and the design lost its punch.

I like the stars on the reverse. Did you know that 13 of them are larger than the others for the original states? I think that's rather neat.

The original design - that having stars on the reverse only - is far and away the most artistically beautiful in my opinion. The stark medallic portrait of Liberty seated in a starless field makes a strong impression, while the beauty of of the eagle flying "onward and upward" through a starlit night sky is one of the finest images in American coinage.

The somewhat random distribution of the 13 stars, and the fact that they are not all the same size (to reflect the true nature of the 13 colonies), is an artistic masterstroke, which seems to lend some three-dimensional depth to the visual perspective.

Gobrecht dollars are one of my favorite areas in all of numismatics. They are engimatic, and the literature is fraught with misinformation, hearsay and legend regarding these coins. This is truly an area for a dedicated numismatist to study. (Read everything you can find by Jim Gray & Mike Carbonneau if you really want to get into these coins !!!)

Sunnywood