• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looney Night at the Site

52 posts in this topic

Has anyone every tried to microwave a coin in a slab? Now that seems dumb to me but what do i know i'm just a PCGS kool-aid drinker.

Yeah, but that was funny. laugh.gif

jom

BushMan, in my opinion, you are being unfair to and making presumptions about Goblin and his/her motives, without having any actual facts.

Yes Mark, that would be nothing more than your opinion. My experience of lurking at the PCGS boards and posting there for just less than a month, tells me my instincts are correct. I'll stick to my original post.

Yes Mark, that would be nothing more than your opinion. My experience of lurking at the PCGS boards and posting there for just less than a month, tells me my instincts are correct. I'll stick to my original post.

Bushman, you might consider stating YOUR opinions as such and doing so, without making assumptions and accusations of conspiracies and creations of multiple ID's, etc., as you did below, without having any FACTS. And, you managed to do all of that, based upon your having lurked on and posted to the PCGS boards for "just less than a month"!

I guess you're smarter and more intuitive than any one else on these forums. Now, you may have the last word (no matter what you say, I wont reply), since I'm sure you're always right about everything.

Exactly! Here we have someone from across the street, probably responsible for some of their inane posts, coming over here in a coordinated manner with missy to try and inflame a few members of this board. The "Kennedy and Frankie crowd" are well known for creating multiple id's to use in efforts to inflame situations. Now, they bring similar tactics to our boards

"Looney Night at the Site"..Isn't that unique! That's the feeling I get when I "visit" this site. My feelings are that you have to be part of some special "clique" to post over here and "try" to get along with most of the people who post here.

I collect Franklins and Kennedy's. Why is that so belittling to some of you? Is there some need to collect high priced gold and silver coins to be able to fit in here?

Then Mr. jtryka writes: "Sorry for the rant, but there's one more thing, to all you lurkers out there, please pick a better topic and try to make a more meaningful post when you finally choose to emerge! If you do, you'll have a lot better chance of earning the respect of the rest of us." My question to him is this: What constitutes a "better topic"? Does it have to be something that passes your special muster? Can it be something that interests only you? If this is supposed to be a coin forum, then any coin related subject should be acceptable!

I'm sure that most of the people that post here, or on any of the other coin sites, don't act the same out in the real world as they do in these threads. To say some of the things that you see posted here out in the real world would result in the very least, loss of friends, and maybe even physical harm!!

Thats about all I have to say for now. Thanks to all for their time........Ken

Ken,

The only clique that I'd recommend you subscribe to over here is one where the preponderance of your posts are topical and informative.

I am willing to bet that *any* numismatically informative post here, even one about the Bens and the Jacks that you like so much will be received favorably. Cladking and others have started really good threads about scarce and rare moderns here; Hoot also made extremely lengthy and informative posts about Jeffs and the issue of FULL STEPS.

Until you've made a meaningful contribution here, I'm afraid that your comments decrying this forum or its members will at best fall on deaf ears and probably even be received with quite a bit of negativity.

In other words, ya gotta help make this better before you get to criticize it...

I regularly participate here and across the street. So, I feel perfectly justified in criticizing both places! wink.gif

To say some of the things that you see posted here out in the real world would result in the very least, loss of friends, and maybe even physical harm!!

Finally, don't try to raise the issue of violence over here. Your best bet, IMO, is simply to contribute numismatically over here.

EVP

"Looney Night at the Site"..Isn't that unique! That's the feeling I get when I "visit" this site. My feelings are that you have to be part of some special "clique" to post over here and "try" to get along with most of the people who post here.

Interesting that of all people YOU posted this. Didn't just a few days ago you (as well as others) attack someone across the street because they didn't fit into your selective "clique"? I remember it quite well, do you? Someone posts a COIN RELATED message and what do you do? You attack them because in their sig they have a harmless political message that you don't agree with. When EVP chastised you for this, you said it was OK to attack because of the political message.

Perhaps that user should have joined the "conservative clique" to fit in and post over there?

BTW, this is coming from a strong conservative who questions the sanity of most liberals.

An entire thread thrown off topic because a few people didn't respect the place enough to allow someone who had a differing political opinion in their sig to post a coin related message.

Please don't speak of the cliques over here when you at least as intolerant of others that don't fit into your clique over there than any of us have been over here.

Then Mr. jtryka writes: "Sorry for the rant, but there's one more thing, to all you lurkers out there, please pick a better topic and try to make a more meaningful post when you finally choose to emerge! If you do, you'll have a lot better chance of earning the respect of the rest of us." My question to him is this: What constitutes a "better topic"? Does it have to be something that passes your special muster? Can it be something that interests only you? If this is supposed to be a coin forum, then any coin related subject should be acceptable!

Better topic? If someone can't tell the difference between a thread that bashes the other site and a thread that has numismatic relevance (better topic) that we can learn from and will better this place and its users, then perhaps they should stay a lurker for just a little bit longer. Nothing about being in a clique, but if you pick a fluff thread to introduce yourself to these forums don't expect a lot of people to take your opinion highly at first.

I'm sure that most of the people that post here, or on any of the other coin sites, don't act the same out in the real world as they do in these threads. To say some of the things that you see posted here out in the real world would result in the very least, loss of friends, and maybe even physical harm!!

Agreed. You'd have never verbally assaulted that person across the street in real life, but it was OK to do it behind a computer screen since there was no threat to losing friends or physical harm.

I know you will take this post in the wrong way, but you should look in the mirror. You are everything you're accusing us of being, just the topic at hand has changed.

I collect Franklin's, Kennedy's, Roosevelt's and Ike's and have Registry sets for Franklin's, Kennedy's and Roosevelt's. I don't feel that these sets "belittle" anyone and no one else should either. I also collect gold Saints, Half Eagles, Trimes and 19th Century Type. I don't have as much collecting discretionary funds as some here and others have less to spend on coins then I do. Those are life circumstances and choices that none of us have much control over. It is a waste of time to worry about what others have and we do not.

IMHO, the irritant for some people here, with the other site, is the constant bombardment of "look at my 1977-D Cent and give me a grading opinion for it", or constantly talking about Pop Top "Kool Aid" as some call it. I personally would rather read discussions on and see images of coins that I will never be able to acquire.

Now there is nothing inherently deviant in this behavior (different strokes for different folks). Everybody gets to collect what they like and to choose how they spend their money and time. Where the rub starts is when 90% of the site content is this type of posting. IMHO, there is no deeper understanding of the hobby, educational value or intellectual growth to be gleaned from these postings. It is follow-the-leader "eye candy" with little underlying intellectual substance. You can follow the leader, or you can be a leader in your own way.

I spend 90% of my "coin time" on the internet at this site. The reason is probably mostly based on more advanced collecting interests and seeking out of hobby education on areas of these advanced collecting interests. This is my choice. I do not perceive this as snobish behavior, and if others do, that is their opinion and they are entitled to it. I do not believe that there is any "Special Muster" posting criteria over here. In fact there some are banal postings here as well. They just don't overwhelm everything else.

Anything that I will say to you on this site, I will say to you in person. The other site also has it's "Clique" of people who steer the content of the site and who freely dispense vituperation on those that don't hold their opinion. They also freely bash anything that is in a NGC slab as being overgraded and overpriced. I guess this is human nature. Cliques ran things when I was in school, ran things when I was working and run things here as well.

These are life's choices. Pick your poison, so to speak. If you don't like it here, go there and vice-versa. It is nice to have choices. However, Passive-Aggressive lurking behavior, coupled with finally striking out, doesn't get you very far here. If you disagree or have an opinion, say it (or forget it) and live with the consequences.

Ken, stick around and you'll pick up a sense of kinship and 'family' over here. Heck, I collect PO01 Kennedies and these guys haven't chased me off yet! ooo.gif

That is really chicken to go to another board to insult somebody behind their back. If anybody wants to insult somebody about a PCGS thread they need to do it in that PCGS thread, why junk up the NGC board with it?

Regardless of what you hardcore NGC rah rah guys think not much time is expended on the PCGS bashing NGC & not everybody that posts on the PCGS board is an insufficiently_thoughtful_person or has an agenda. I think it's more like 50/50? wink.gif

Most of the time when NGC is discussed it's in a favorable light.

For example:

Where did I first hear about NGC grading GSAs?

On the PCGS board.

Where did I first hear about NGC grading gov Ikes?

On the PCGS board.

Where did I first hear about NGC putting Proof Sets in 1 holder?

On the PCGS board.

Where did I first hear that NGC even had a board?

That's right, on the PCGS board. Thanks Braddick.

The PCGS board seems like a running advertisement for NGC products.

You guys crack me up the way you think every newbie is David Hall in disguise. He doesn't even attend to matters on his own board, I doubt if he would spend much time here. I guess anything's possible on the www though.

Where did I first hear about NGC grading GSAs?

On the PCGS board.

Where did I first hear about NGC grading gov Ikes?

On the PCGS board.

Where did I first hear about NGC putting Proof Sets in 1 holder?

On the PCGS board.

Where did I first hear that NGC even had a board?

That's right, on the PCGS board. Thanks Braddick.

Where did those people who posted on the PCGS forums about these NGC innovations hear it first? On the NGC boards. Perhaps you should spend more time over here and you wouldn't have to hear the info a few weeks later than everyone else. smirk.gifsmirk.gifsmirk.gif

You guys crack me up the way you think every newbie is David Hall in disguise. He doesn't even attend to matters on his own board, I doubt if he would spend much time here. I guess anything's possible on the www though. wink.gif

Hope, he wouldn't spend much time over here. After "Kenya" got run off because he couldn't back up his lies with facts, why come back? He just has his workers spend time over here reading up on how the competition is taking care of their customers. And yes, I know for a fact that SEVERAL PCGS employees read here to learn about all the good things NGC is doing and how they take care of their customers. Too bad it hasn't rubbed off on them...

Yeah I was thinking about you just the other day, gmarguli. There was a thread on the PCGS board asking how much a designation review cost, and nobody knew. Even David Hall didn't know. I was thinking man if gmarguli was still here he would set us straight.

Anyway, my point was that knocking a collector from another board just because they aren't as knowlegable as the rest of us and asks dumb questions isn't very cool.

You guys are a tough crowd here and the newbies are scared to ask dumb questions here so they ask them on the PCGS board instead but that doesn't mean everybody that posts there is looney tunes. wink.gif

Yeah I was thinking about you just the other day, gmarguli. There was a thread on the PCGS board asking how much a designation review cost, and nobody knew. Even David Hall didn't know. I was thinking man if gmarguli was still here he would set us straight.

Funy thing is that shortly before I was banned David Hall answered a question in the Q&A forum on getting new designations on the old slabs. He mentioned the Designation Review service and that it cost $10. I asked a question about what he wrote since just a few days earlier I was told the service no longer existed and I asked him if he was sure it still existed. He never answered my question. frown.gif So much for his lies that he answers all questions.

As far as I know, the DR service no longer exists at PCGS.

Ken, stick around and you'll pick up a sense of kinship and 'family' over here. Heck, I collect PO01 Kennedies and these guys haven't chased me off yet! ooo.gif

Heck, Pat, the only reason you haven't been run off is because you're a "plank-owner" ... grin.gif

p.s. a plank-owner is a sailor stationed onboard a newly commissioned ship.

You guys are a tough crowd here and the newbies are scared to ask dumb questions here so they ask them on the PCGS board instead but that doesn't mean everybody that posts there is looney tunes. wink.gif

Good idea! Here are a couple of articles on stage fright. And this may be helpful for all the luuuuuuuuuurkers. insane.gif27_laughing.gif

Leo

BushMan, in my opinion, you are being unfair to and making presumptions about Goblin and his/her motives, without having any actual facts.

I, like Goblin, previously posted to a thread on a similar topic over here, too, because I was bothered by the prevalence of C.U. bashing. Goblin and I weren't the ones who started the flaming - we merely responded to it.

Well Mark, as "Goblin" has not posted even one additional response, it would appear that my presumption was nothing less than fact. As was expected. That little clique uses a multitude of id's to aide in their efforts to stir things up over there. Definitely a practice better utilized over there. Not to emerge over here.

Honestly, is it really necessary to have this "our place is better than yours" nonsense?

If you don't find a place suitable for your tastes, fine. Move on. If you like it, then stay and have fun. It's as easy as that. But, to make fun of others shows more about the person doing the making fun than the one who is being made fun of...

EVP

Honestly, is it really necessary to have this "our place is better than yours" nonsense?

If you don't find a place suitable for your tastes, fine. Move on. If you like it, then stay and have fun. It's as easy as that. But, to make fun of others shows more about the person doing the making fun than the one who is being made fun of...

EVP

At one time there were TWO good places to talk about coin. It is fair for someone to complain about the people he views as having ruined one of those places. I don't think it is that he is saying that he doesn't want to go back to that place because it now sucks, but rather he would prefer that place go back to different style topics so he would feel it is worthwhile to go back.

This is the kind of thread that people want to post to and don't want to listen to what others have to say. There is two good sites regardless of what anyone says. There things on both sites I don't like and things I like.

But for all the complaining that is done on here about PCGS forums, there is a hundred more times the complaining about the PCGS forums on their forums. Ken, you are classic when it comes to running over here every time someone here complains about the other forum. Your credibility here suffers because of that and unless you have something constructive to say here you would be doing yourself and your image a favor by restricting your posting to the CU forum. I don't see you offer the same criticizisms over there about the PCGS bashing.

This goes for everyone who jumps right into one of these threads claiming that there is a lot of CU bashing here. The fact is there is very little of that. My biggest complaint about the CU forum is the volume of ridiculous complaining about PCGS.

I don't read 90% because I already can tell you the drivel the author is about to unleash on me or the topic doesn't interest me or its the clan over there poking fun at each other with inside jokes or toilet humor, or its the registry clique trying to [!@#%^&^] down my shirt and tell me its raining.

Just do what I do and ignore it. In spite of that there are some excellent posters and some interesting content on both sites.

Chill or stay over there.

This post has some sort of radioactive-pile-half-life that has kept it alive way past it's useful purpose. The post has been bounced around for 60+ days. As the abashed originator, R.I.P. guys.