• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you find the hobby more frustrating when........

9 posts in this topic

the coin market is good and material gets much more difficult to find? I notice that it becomes a challenge to attain nicer material since the competition because intense. In some respects, it becomes downright dissappointing to go weeks without finding a nice purchase at a fair price.

TRUTH

TRUTH: I'd rather have that though then when a bunch of fresh stuff enters the market and I don't have the funds for it all!

What I really find frustrating is when the market is OK (and every dealer is talking it up like it is white hot) and I try to buy a nice coin at a fair price of $1500, yet the dealer wants $2500 because the market is going up and it might be worth it in a few months.

These are the dealers I hope get flushed out of the business like in 1989. They're more like speculators than dealers.

The only thing worse than that is finding an OK coin with neutral toning and the SOB dealer trying to tell me that because the toning is so beautiful and original that I should spend 3X sheet for it.

Actually I kind of enjoy it when the coins or sets I want are scarce. When I finally do find them - I enjoy it all the more wink.gif But then I don't buy to sell later - I buy to collect. And the thrill of the hunt is a big part of it for me.

My attitude is totally different from most dealers. I really dislike overheated markets. mad.gif To me they are a pain in the butt and not really the great opportunity that most dealers think they are.

First you have to overpay for almost everything to provide to your customers, and quite often you can't find it. Second there are a lot of insufficiently_thoughtful_persons in the market insane.gif who have no idea what anything is worth. All they know is that someone has told them that they can make a lot of money from coins, and all they have to do is throw money at something, and they'll make a mint. Third when the cruch comes you go though another period when it's hard to buy because you have no idea where the bottom is, most of the better material is being held off the market for "better days."

No, I much prefer show and steady growth. That beats the devil out of the red hot markets that are rising for a fall. goodevil.gif

I seem to have a natural pain threshold on price. When the market gets to that price point, my buying is confined to keys and really nice material only. For instance, I have stopped buying generic dated Gold (I was a pretty big buyer).

I guess good-ole supply and demand pricing curves work in a rising market. Nice material becomes available, but at a price. The good news is that if you want this material, pay the market price for the material, buy it and, in the long run, you will not get hurt if you can hang on. There is never much of this material around, especially nice-for-grade and high-grade classical coins.

Considering scarcity, some series are still values (S.Lib Dimes, Trimes, Barber's).

bill jones and oldtrader sum it up really very well these comments should be on thre front page of coin world and would be required reading for anyone entering an ANA sponsored show!

i would add for oldtrader halfdimes ,trade dollars to the list three cent nicks

i guess others also but this is a start

sincerely michael

So, HisRoyalHighness, David H@ll is lying to us in his comments on the startup page of PeeSeeG$? To hear him tell it, this is just the very best market in a couple of decades. HaHaHa!!