• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tokens and medals?

19 posts in this topic

• Administrator

We don't really have a space carved out to specifically talk about tokens and medals. My guess is that the traffic for that would be too light for a whole board devoted to it? But I was thinking of maybe changing the world/ancient forum to: "World Coins, Ancient Coins, Tokens and Medals"?

What do you think? Does it belong there, or is that a weird place to put it?

It's usually where it gets lumped, but probably not 100% appropriate. Quite a bit of the tokens/medals graded by NGC are US items, not foreign.

Here is the list of what NGC grades:

U.S. Tokens and Medals

* Early American, Hard Times, Merchant and Trade Tokens as listed in Rulau.

* Civil War Store Card and Patriotic Tokens as listed in Fuld references.

* Civil War Sutler Tokens as listed in Schenkman.

* So-Called Dollars as listed in Hibler & Kappen.

* 1893 World’s Columbian Exposition tokens and medals as listed in Eglit.

* 1904 St. Louis World’s Fair tokens and medals as listed in Hendershott.

* Bryan Money as listed in Schornstein.

* U.S. Mint Medals as listed in Julian & Keusch.

*** Assay, Presidential, Indian Peace, Commemorative, Military, Naval, Mint & Treasury, Personal, School, Agricultural, mechanical, scientific & professional, Life Saving, Marksmanship, Religious & Fraternal.

* Modern U.S. Mint Medals including but not limited to

*** Bi-centennial through current issues.

*** American Arts Commemorative Series.

* Counterstamped coinage as listed in Rulau & Brunk references.

* Washingtonia as listed in Baker/Rulau/Fuld references.

* Abraham Lincoln tokens & medals as listed in King reference.

* American Political Tokens & Medals as listed in DeWitt/Sullivan reference.

* Robbins Space Medals as listed in Weinberger reference.

* Slave badges/tags.

* Civil War dog tags.

* Early American political & military buttons.

World Tokens and Medals

* British Medals as listed in British Historical Medals.

* British 18th Century Provincial Token Coinage (Conder Tokens) as listed in Dalton & Hamer reference.

* British 19th Century Token Coinage as listed in Bell and Davis & Withers references.

* Canadian Tokens as listed in Breton & Charlton references.

* Hawaiian tokens and medals as listed in Metcalf & Bressett reference.

Quite a bit more US stuff and the Hawaiian tokens and medals listed under world coins could probably also fit under US.

Arch,

I agree with Chris. The way I see it is that if I want to post about a U.S. medal or token, I post it on the Numismatic Tangents or U.S. Coins board. If it’s not a U.S. piece I’ll post it to the World Coins board. It just seems logical to me to do it that way.

John

Isn't that what Numismatic Tangents is for? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif If not, while we're at it, do you think we might be able to have an individual forum for every thread that gets started? You know, just so that each thread has its own home. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Arch,

I agree with Chris. The way I see it is that if I want to post about a U.S. medal or token, I post it on the Numismatic Tangents or U.S. Coins board. If it’s not a U.S. piece I’ll post it to the World Coins board. It just seems logical to me to do it that way.

John

I agree! I enjoy threads on tokens/medals and would never see them on the world coin forum.

NGC also grades at least some Spanish colonial medals. I have a 1789 Peru 4R Proclamation medal (Fohnrobert 8942) graded AU-50 and there have been several others listed on dealer websites or at public auction.

I feel this is a "sleeper" series that is gaining strength. I see quite a few posts in the last few months of collectors purchasing these items. They deserve a home on the US coin side of the house, somewhere.

I feel this is a "sleeper" series that is gaining strength. I see quite a few posts in the last few months of collectors purchasing these items. They deserve a home on the US coin side of the house, somewhere.

I wouldn't want to see it categorized "on the US coin side of the house" either. Besides having a lot of post-1963 U.S. medals, I have a lot of really nice European medals, too.

Arch, why can't you add a "TAMS" category to the menu? Is space lacking?

Chris

• Administrator

I wouldn't want to see it categorized "on the US coin side of the house" either. Besides having a lot of post-1963 U.S. medals, I have a lot of really nice European medals, too.

Chris

I could. It's just whatever down side there is to spreading the posting out too much among many different forums. It's better to have a few active forums than many quiet ones. The reason I bring it up is because listing it as belonging to some forum might encourage more posting about it. Initially I was thinking about changing the world coin forum name because then we get the best of both worlds - no extra forums that might not have enough traffic, but an explicit label to encourage posting about it.

Initially I was thinking about changing the world coin forum name because then we get the best of both worlds - no extra forums that might not have enough traffic, but an explicit label to encourage posting about it.

You should change the World forum name, but not for this reason. The "Ask a World Coin Expert" part of it should probably go. It appears to be a regular forum and it doesn’t look to be monitored any more than the other forums.

Chris

Good Point. thumbsup2.gif

Arch, I agree with the above sentiments about a separate Tokens and Medals Section. I wouldn't care to wade through a lot of other things to find threads on this topic.

But wouldn't a Tokens & Medals section only receive a couple of posts a month at best? It's not like they are flooding the other forums right now.

But wouldn't a Tokens & Medals section only receive a couple of posts a month at best? It's not like they are flooding the other forums right now.

There would not be a lot of posting from current users but such a forum might well attract new users. There are no general token and medal sites and precious few specialized ones. It might prove difficult to get thje word out though.