• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay offer expired ????

7 posts in this topic

I made an offer on an Ebay item as the BIN price is much too high.

The seller had 48 hours to respond. Those 48 hours have passed without any reply.

What happens now ? Am I supposed to make another offer ?

Why does it say the seller has 48 hours to reply and then nothing happens when he doesn't reply ??

Totally cheesed off. sign-rantpost.gif

Unfortunately, once you make an offer on an item, you cannot make another offer.

Not responding to an offer is like a pocket veto. They do not want to tell you that they didn't like your offer. So they let it expire without comment. OR, they did not see the offer because they don't know how to use the system or were not around to see it.

In either case, you lost. Sorry! 893whatthe.gif

Scott hi.gif

Yes - there is a button there that says make another offer.

But if the seller doesn't respond how do I know that he saw my first offer ?

I think it should be fair that Ebay stops auctions if the seller doesn't reply and that the item should go to the person with the highest bid.

Sorry Greg - I think our posts overlapped.

I must have missed the policy change. According to this help item on eBay there is a limit of 3 best offers per item. This is good! However, this page says that "Expired offers, declined offers, and retracted offers all count against the "offer limit per item.""

So you have one try... try a second time and see what happens.

Good Luck!!

Scott hi.gif

Yes - there is a button there that says make another offer.

But if the seller doesn't respond how do I know that he saw my first offer ?

I think it should be fair that Ebay stops auctions if the seller doesn't reply and that the item should go to the person with the highest bid.

Sorry Greg - I think our posts overlapped.

When you make an offer, only the seller and the bidder who made the offer can see the amount,the other bidders can only see that an offer has been made. If a seller does not like your offer, he has the chance to counteroffer. If he chose not to, it's not because he didn't see it, (he receives an email whenever an offer is made), but because the offer was too low for him and he probably thought that there was no way of reaching an agreement.Nevertheless, he does not decline it, because by leaving the offer pending until it expires, other bidders are more likely to take action than if they see that the offer was declined and therefore that there is no real competition for the item.If he wants to push this trick further, he can counteroffer right before the offer expires, in which case he gets another 48 hours ,having a pending offer (his counteroffer to you) on his item, unless you decide to decline it.

It wouldn't be fair for the item to go to the person with the highest offer if the seller does not agree, simply because it is a fixed price listing, not a no reserve auction.

And yes, bidders can make upto 3 offers and sellers can counteroffer. Sellers can also place an undisclosed reserve, in which case offers that are below this reserve get immediately auto declined, a useful feature to get rid of offending offers.