• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fingerprint

3 posts in this topic

I purchased a 2005 S Bison Nickel ina NGC holder graded PF69 UC. When I got this, I noticed a fingerprint which seems to be on the obverse of the coin. I already posted this to NGC but haven't receievd a reply yet. I am not a paid member of anything to be able to submit coins, but with this already having been graded by NGC, is there something that can be done without me having to pay a bunch of money to submit this nickel to be fixed if possible? thanks! confused-smiley-013.gif

Are you positive that the fingerprint is not at all on the holder? Seems a fingewrprint on a proof would be pretty bad. I'd just return it where I got it from. Since you didn't submit the coin yourself, I doubt there's anything that can be done. It's not an expensive coin, maybe $10-$15. If you hate the coin, buy a new one.

Fingerprints can be addressed through professional conservation. The level of succes we may have in removing a print lies primarily in how much that fingerprint has become a part of the coin's surface metal. A coin as recent as yours has a good chance of removing the fingerprint. Often an older fingerprint can be lightened in appearance and prevented from etching the coin's surface further.

Chris, NCS