• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where do you consider modern widget coins to begin?

26 posts in this topic

For me the dividing line would be 1965, but as a collector who specializes in Frankies I'd be the first to admit there are a TON of Frankies in grades 64 and below... and if you deal with proof Frankies, from 1954 on it is easy to find a decent gem brilliant or better coin.

Just wondering, where do you consider modern widget (note no c word here) coins to begin? Do you consider them to begin at a given date, say 1965 or the late 1980's, or when sufficient quantities of a given date/mm for certain coins make them easy to find, for example Walkers in the 1940's or Wheaties in the 1930's? Obviously there is no right or wrong here, it's just a question of perspective. Please lay out how you split coins into moderns.

I don’t think I can say what a widget is for me. I definitely understand the 1964 viewpoint, but there are a few moderns that I really like e.g. the Leif Erickson commemoratives and the Vermont quarter. Not sure where that leaves me confused-smiley-013.gif

Hoot considers all coins younger than he is to be modern widgets. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893whatthe.gif

27_laughing.gif

But if that were the case, then even James' definition would put the open collar coins in that category. 893whatthe.gif

Hoot

Hoot considers all coins younger than he is to be modern widgets. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893whatthe.gif

Biblical coins are not widgets!!!

27_laughing.gif

I used to collect Franklins and am tempted to start a set again, so please don't be offended if I say that modern 'widgets' start with Franklins... I also think that...

uh oh...I know I'm going to get into big trouble, nevermind boo.gif

The way moderns should be classified....

If you can put a circ set of them together with little struggles at all. Like a Franklin Set cost what? Melt? Circ Washington set minus 32 D, 32 S, pretty much melt. There is no real year where it starts but one 1940 seems to be a good starting point.

Where do you consider modern widget coins to begin?

I think that's a trick question that conflates "modern" and "widget."

Collecting Seated Half Dimes? You cut the Shield 5c series in half. boo.gif

Hoot

Let's see...

Half cents - ended

Two Cents - ended

Three cent silvers - ended

Half dimes - ended

That sounds about right, though I could understand letting the date slip a bit to 1878. devil.gif

When I think about the fact that in the 1950's, people could still carry Morgan dollars from the late 19th century in their pockets, it pushes me to consider most 20th century coinage as 'modern', but I wouldn't consider them 'widgets'.

I’m confused confused.gif What’s the definition of a widget in numismatic terms? If I appreciate and collect a few modern pieces then they aren’t widgets to me…right? confused-smiley-013.gif

Widget: A small manufactured item. (Oxford dictionary.)

Thus, all coins are widgets.

But we knew what you implied.

Truly, I see the advent of the close collar as the frist transition from antiquated to modern U.S. coin manufacture. The second transition was the improvement of die steel, which occurred all along, but around 1873 there was a sudden increase in demand for mass-produced die steel that would hold up to making huge numbers of silver dollars (and five cent nickels, IGWT), due to the changeover from the seated Liberty to trade dollar. This only got worse in 1878. The third transition occurred with the advent of the Janvier reduction lathe and its implementation of use at the Mint in 1906. Reduction lathes had been around in different (less refined) form for a number of years, but the janvier lathe was a huge improvement.

Coin manufacture is again in a rennaisance. Just read the latest Coinage magazine and the article on Jonh Mercanti. Since the introduction of laser etching of dies with the Wildlife medals of 2003, we have been in a period of rapid change, representing not only improvements in existing techniques, but significant changes in approach.

So, call it what you'd like in terms of what defines a "modern." I truly peg the year 1873 for what I regard the reason of significant changes in manufacture and output due to enormous changes in die steel; but that's just me, right?

Hoot

I’m confused confused.gif What’s the definition of a widget in numismatic terms? If I appreciate and collect a few modern pieces then they aren’t widgets to me…right? confused-smiley-013.gif
Widget

I agree with this definition, and to me, it is not about the date that makes a coin a widget, it is the scarcity.

Just FYI I collect a variety of widgets, most notably the state quarters (just out of pocket change), because it is a fun thing to do... and Winston I like the Vermont quarter design too. Actually I think one of the coolest obverse/reverse designs is the 1987 Constitution Bicentennial gold half eagle (granted I'm not totally thrilled by the eagle holding the quill, but the eagle design itself is pretty nifty as is the reverse design IMO).

The concept of scarcity of a given coin for modern widgets certainly makes sense, although this would obviously mean that Morgans are modern widgets, which is not a definition I'm totally comfortable with... Maybe make it any series after a given date (so you could include Wheaties), where there are no expensive coins, not including DDO or other mint screw-ups. I certainly don't have any problem including Frankies or pre-65 Roosies as modern coins as finding all of them in MS 60 is approximately as hard as making a trip to the local coin shop.

I don’t have the gold one, but I do have a silver MS constitution commem from 1987. Cost me $20 or thereabouts. It’s a widget but it’s a cool widget IMHO.

I just looked up that gold one. That is a nice looking coin thumbsup2.gif

All coins without a BC after the date are just modern widgets. confused.gif

27_laughing.gif

I've not seen a single coin with BC after the date, so I reckon that sums it up! 27_laughing.gifmakepoint.gifwink.gif

Hoot

In economics, a widget is an abstract term for a commodity. Slabs are supposed to trade sight-unseen for an assigned value, so essentially all slabbed coins are widgets.grin.gifboo.gif

All joking aside, I do not feel it is right to call ANY coin a widget for various personal reasons that all seem to end up relating to my deep love of American History.

-Amanda