• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Battle Creek Auction # 3, lot 278

26 posts in this topic

Pardon my question, but what does Battle Creek mean in this case?

Battle Creek is a made-up name of a supposed hoard of Morgan dollars. There is great debate about whether the coins are NT or AT. They brought insane money at auction a year or so ago.

Nice coin.......I have owned quite a few BC's myself and never questioned their originality. As a toned coin collector.....I am happy if there is any population of collectors out their feeling the coins may not be legit as it could mean cheaper prices......problem is that most of the folks questioning the toning don't buy these type of coins very often so the net effect may be nil 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Thank you guys that have said nice things about this coin!

As to the others, one comment I might make is that my parents taught me if I didn't have something nice to say about someone/something then to not say anything at all.

Have a good one!

As to the others, one comment I might make is that my parents taught me if I didn't have something nice to say about someone/something then to not say anything at all.

Have a good one!

Skyman, realistically/fairly, when a coin is displayed here, do you expect posters to comment only if their remarks are positive? I didn't see any of the comments as cheap shots, and, in fact, think they potentially opened the door for good, informative discussion.

Edited to add: Discussions, (hopefully) healthy debate and learning are a large part of what forums such as this are about.

Have a good one!

Skyman, realistically/fairly, when a coin is displayed here, do you expect posters to comment only if their remarks are positive? I didn't see any of the comments as cheap shots, and, in fact, think they potentially opened the door for good, informative discussion.

I agree with Mark.

Chris

I think the coin is likely very pretty, but agree with others who suggest that the image technique might be improved. This is something I have written repeatedly for images with this "feel".

Have a good one!

Edited to add: Discussions, (hopefully) healthy debate and learning are a large part of what forums such as this are about.

Mark,

These are the NGC boards, not the PCGS boards. I like these boards because they don't have the level of "trollness" that's over on the PCGS boards. I note that the comments made here by some were reasonably tame compared to the other boards, and I think that says nice things about these boards.

I would agree that having a healthy debate and learning are a large part of these forums. Having said that, by now the AT/NT debate about BC coins is well known, and WELL hashed over. NOTHING I, or others, say can or will change certain peoples minds about the validity of the toning. Realistically then it is a shot. How cheap is open to personal interpretation. Further, why would I want to post more images of these coins if I knew that every time I did it someone would take a shot at them.

Sharing coins is about having FUN. If a person posts a coin of theirs, UNLESS THEY MAKE THEIR OWN QUESTIONING COMMENTS ABOUT IT, I assume they are proud of their coin and would like some nice comments about their coin. If I think the coin is bugg ugly I choose to say nothing at all. I've seen coins posted in various places by people that don't realize that they are AT or dipped or reworked, and if the coin is pretty I say so without mentioning my reservations about the validity of the coin. I guess it is a personal outlook on life... to emphasize the good things.

I've seen coins posted in various places by people that don't realize that they are AT or dipped or reworked, and if the coin is pretty I say so without mentioning my reservations about the validity of the coin.
I think that does the owners of such coins a disservice, more, in fact, than not commenting at all. Still, I respect your right to post as you see fit and your preference for enjoyable and positive experiences on the forums.

As an observer with very little financially invested in toned coins (although I do appreciate them), the NT/AT debate has appeared fruitless. From what I have read and seen, I do not believe that anyone has changed their opinion – feel free to correct me if I am wrong there. More than anything, the debate just gets peoples’ feathers ruffled. While I agree with those that say an educational debate would be constructive, it never appears to come to fruition.

"Mommy, are we going to be invaded by a ruthless, hell-bent for revenge enemy?"

"No, dear that will never happen! Everything is going to be just fine."

Hiroshima, 1945

Chris

"Mommy, are we going to be invaded by a ruthless, hell-bent for revenge enemy?"

"No, dear that will never happen! Everything is going to be just fine."

Hiroshima, 1945

Chris

893whatthe.gif

I usually agree with Mark without reserve but must admit that I agree with Sy and winstonware. The issue of AT vs. NT never seems to create any real closure for anyone and I think having to be on the defensive all the time about toners, makes folks not want to post.....which in essence might end up being even worse then endless debates.

I fully respect the opinions of other board members whether they mirror or differ from my own........I just chose to no longer jump into the fray when it comes to the AT vs. NT debates because in the court of opinions........quite a few folks are labeling toned coins guilty until proven innocent. That's not the way it should be and the rants of the less knowledgeable collectors is drowning out the voices of those actually trying to learn something. I tend to think the latter is the case on the NGC forums......by that I mean that the rants on the PCGS boards is causing toned coin lovers over there to be a little sensitive and gun shy over here. For those that have already posted to this thread.......I believe no shots were taken at Sy......but I would caution you to please be sensitive to your fellow collectors and understand that we all take a lot of pleasure in show and tell and we all have a lot of pride in our own collections. thumbsup2.gif

(and he steps down from the soapbox) sorry.gif

We sometimes post coins for no purpose other than the fun of sharing our collections. In those cases, I think it's generally a mistake to treat a post as an invitation to offer a critical evaluation.

I think that one's tone is the bottom line. The tone of discussion on this thread was not rude and I do not think out of line.

Very nice coin. Sky do you have your own pictures you have taken of it?

If you give him enough time he will........of course they will be taken by me but they will be digital images as opposed to the scans. thumbsup2.gif

Skyman, I don't collect Morgans, so I cannot make an intelligent comment about your coin. However, when somene posts a coin, it is fair game for comments, as long as they are made in a respectable manner, whether or not they are complimentary about said coin.

Coin imaging is always suspect because you don't really know what a coin actually looks like until you see it in hand under appropriate lighting, especially if it is toned, a large proof coin, or IMO, any copper coin.

Furthermore, most coins out there by definition, are not exceptional for the grade. I believe an informative post is one which discusses where someone believes a particular coin displayed is on the continuum for a particular grade, and why.

We sometimes post coins for no purpose other than the fun of sharing our collections. In those cases, I think it's generally a mistake to treat a post as an invitation to offer a critical evaluation.

I've given this some thought...this whole post and hesitated to contribute anything, but I've thought hard about this, and I wholeheartedly agree with IGWT.

Sometimes criticism has no redeeming qualities and therefore there's nothing to learn from. Sometimes there's no place for it at all.