• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IS THIS GUYS AUCTION WRONG?

17 posts in this topic

I agree, it is not off-center but a broadstrike. Being the year 1976 brings the value up a bit but it isn't worth nearly as much as a genuine offcentered Washington (with a date) would.

Before the planchets are coined they are forced edgewise between two rollers which reduces their diameter a little and pushes up a little extra metal at the edge to help fill the rim. This process is called upsetting. After being upset they are called type 2 planchets.

The extra diameter probably led to the broadstrike. Tough to say how uncommon these are but it no doubt varies from coin to coin and era to era.

After another look though, it looks like it could be a type 2 planchet. Tough to be sure from the scan.

1) I think it is broadstruck.

2) It looks like a type-2 planchet.

3) It looks like it is covered in PVC.

4) It's not cheap.

I wrote the seller, and he said this to me. He told me in previous letter he broke it out of a holder. insane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif

Subj: Re: Question for seller -- Item #3032029342

Date: 6/23/03 10:09:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time

To: StackGenerator@cs.com

Call it what you want, it is $110.

I'll call ANACS tomorrow and tell them they were wrong and you said it was

broadstruck.

Ernie

----- Original Message -----

To:

Sent: Monday, June 23, 2003 9:45 PM

Subject: Re: Question for seller -- Item #3032029342

> Ernie,

> Sorry, This is a broadstruck coin. Notice all the interior design is

still

> there unlike an off center coin that is missing portions of the interior

> design.

>

> Pat McNulty

I wrote the seller, and he said this to me. He told me in previous letter he broke it out of a holder. insane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif

Subj: Re: Question for seller -- Item #3032029342

Date: 6/23/03 10:09:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time

To: StackGenerator@cs.com

Call it what you want, it is $110.

I'll call ANACS tomorrow and tell them they were wrong and you said it was

broadstruck.

Ernie

----- Original Message -----

To:

Sent: Monday, June 23, 2003 9:45 PM

Subject: Re: Question for seller -- Item #3032029342

> Ernie,

> Sorry, This is a broadstruck coin. Notice all the interior design is

still

> there unlike an off center coin that is missing portions of the interior

> design.

>

> Pat McNulty

Ernie is one sarcastic MoFo, isn't he?! insane.gif

Pat,

I am going to write Ernie, and tell him that I already wrote ANACS about this mistake. Perhaps, we should all drop Ernie a line and tell him it is broadstruck, and not off center. Ernie would get a kick out of it I am sure.

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS

Ernie is one sarcastic MoFo, isn't he?! insane.gif

He's a MoFo alright. I've had one deal with him and I can honestly say it was the worst deal I have ever conducted in 17+ years of buying and selling. He was the first bidder I ever blocked from bidding on my stuff on eBay.

As for ANACS putting the wrong designation, it happens. When presented with different coins labeled as the same variety they said they couldn't keep up with the varieties and when "we" figured out which variety was which to contact them. I haven't submitted to them since.

As for this coin, why crack it out of the ANACS slab unless it was net graded or graded low? He sure sells a lot of raw coins.

We could drop a lot of lines but EBAY wouldn't care as long as they get their money. The Mofo wins.

Hi there Hoot. I've had time to read some but not post much with a move to another house I'm building. Living out of boxes and eating out of cans takes more time than you might think laugh.gif

For what it is worth, it was:

1) Broken out of an ANACS holder (I forget the grade, MS60-62)

2) Sent to SEGS with about 400 other coins about 2 years ago where it was graded MS-65 Off center

3) Cracked out because it was overgraded and SEGS coins do not bring any attention on ebay.

4) I believe it is a type 2 planchet

5) it is NOT covered in PVC Greg, it is toned.

Also, Greg, you stuck me with a COUNTERFEIT coin and you know it. Don't air dirty laundry here or you will hear from my attorney. Think I'm kidding? Try me.

Ernie,

Looks like the graders were wrong here. Still, it is a neat coin, and I like it very much. I am just now starting to collect these type of errors they are fascinating, especially that year.Can you show some others ones here????

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS

Also, Greg, you stuck me with a COUNTERFEIT coin and you know it. Don't air dirty laundry here or you will hear from my attorney. Think I'm kidding? Try me.

Counterfeit? As I recall NGC didn't think so. Neither did ANACS who provided a letter giving their opinion on its authenticity.

Dirty laundry? I made one post regarding my one experience with you. It's a 100% truthful opinion. Why so quick to threaten an attorney? Do you see me threatening you with an attorney for lying that I stuck you with a counterfeit? I'm sure from your sarcastic email to Pat that everyone got a good picture of you. I've had two "horrible" transactions in my 17+ years. By far my transaction with you was the worst.

Attorney? Is this the same attorney you were going to stick on me 2-3 years ago? The same one that you were going to talk to and get back to me (2+ years ago) and I never heard back from you? The same one who told you the same thing my attorney told me, that our contract was very fair, clearly laid out, and that I fully lived up to my end - WHICH YOU FULLY ADMITTED IN THE EMAILS? If you would like I can dig up the emails where you admitted that and send them to you? I've still got every one of them.

Like I said 2+ years ago, I'm very sorry our transaction didn't work out like we both had hoped, but a contract is a contract and I was more than accommodating in options when we were setting up the terms of the contract and you picked the ones that suited you best. Please don't try to return a losing lottery ticket to me.