• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Date on Buffalo

27 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell by this picture if this is a 26, 28 or 29. I've had it for years and I've always thought it was a 26. (Wishfully) It is an "s" mint, so I know the chances are remote. But you never know.

Bob

1422506-Buffalodate.jpg.88837399865de7f2d7653572e0970aba.jpg

1422506-buffalodate.jpg

Looking at the red arrow, it seems like a six. Looking at the green arrow, however, makes me think very much that it is in fact, an eight. That top loop matches the shape of a worn eight on a buffalo nickel in my collection.

It really does not look very much like a nine at all, to me.

So I say it is an eight. But I could certainly be wrong, of course. smile.gif

-Amanda

Yeah 8 with a chunk taken out frown.gif .. If the chunk missing was on the other side I would have to rethink my thoughts smile.gif at a possible 6

Its a 6 ... I have compard them to .. the sixes proximity to the 2 .

I have the original next to my examples

1422562-nickels_in_the_buff.jpg

1422562-nickels_in_the_buff.jpg.79dac74eded14c9328b92e00fc2791e5.jpg

naaaaa, a well worn 6. The upper right curved beginning of the 6 gives it away. And, if you look at the funky black and white thing I did, you'll see the "back" of the six is straight. Never curves in like an 8.

After seeing Amanda and jgrinz's comparison between the 6 and 8, I'm leaning more and more towards a 6. Mostly based on the shape of the loops in the numbers. Thanks for everyones work and input. A lot of work for an almost AAG1 coin.

Bob

I just happened to be looking at my album of buffs tonight when I saw your photo..it is definately a ....drumrol...SIX!!!..the eights are not rounded holes but more ovate, nothing like a 9 and a 3 has a flat top on the digit... takeit.giftakeit.giftakeit.gif