• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zach's cast forgery

3 posts in this topic

I like to think I have a decent eye in spotting forged ancients. His fooled me. Only some guys who specialize in these coins could point out the areas of concern. Question is, does NGC slab ancients like this coin? I know ICG does, and I doubt they have people on staff who are as knowledgeable as the guys who gave me info on it. Looks like I'll start searching "ICG" in ebay's ancient coin section and see what I can find.

NGC will only do bulk submissions of ancients. So only coins where there are 100 of the same type. Usually these are the more common coins.

I'm not sure if NGC authenticates them in-house or has an outside consultant do it. ICG does both.

NGC will only do bulk submissions of ancients. So only coins where there are 100 of the same type. Usually these are the more common coins.

Evidently someone did that with some Pontius Pilate prutahs not too long ago. About 20 of them were listed on ebay, slabbed by NGC with the label reading "Money Of The Bible....Pontius Pilate.....Prutah.....Genuine" along with a date range of the issue. Even non-collectors are usually intersted in biblical coins like widow mites and coins of Pilate. The 20 or so this guy listed didn't receive one single bid. His BIN was $120.00 and the opening bid was $115.00. I'm not sure how much he was charged by NGC per coin, but most of the coins were worth $20.00 - $50.00 in value, with most being closer to $20.00.

I've been watching to see if he would re-list them with a lower BIN, but no luck yet. This was about 2 weeks ago.