• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Less Error Coins To Be Released

5 posts in this topic

Article

Looks like the mint has a new machine and procedures for dealing with error coins. They say this should allow for less error coins reaching the outside.

I think they should sell the error coins to raise money to pay for projects.

Mexico used to sell 'error' coins to order. Some US dealers would pay off the right officials and get order of errors or 'patterns' in excess of 500 to 1000 a shot. Of course, the supply was exhausted at a tidy profit before collectors would get wind of the so called rarities true circumstance.

TRUTH 893whatthe.gif

The new machine employed to destroy the error coins makes a kind of interesting new Mint product! laugh.gif

Hoot

That's interesting. I only collect 97 erors but I've heard that errors from the last year or so were really tough to find. I've heard rumors of new quality control measures @ the Mint while @ the same time heard dealers say that wasn't true but rather the workers at the rolling & counting house were saving them. So apparently the rolling houses got an early heads up on the new machine and started hoarding them.

This could make it tough on error collectors but the way I understand the article the new machine only processes the errors the Mint culls out & discards, which are not released anyway, and hopefully doesn't affect the availability of errors that are released through normal quality control, such as clips, broadstrikes, off metals, & other minor stuff.