• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you think the set registry idea is good, bad, or makes no difference for ...

23 posts in this topic

Does the idea of the set registry strike you as good, bad or that it makes no difference to the hobby of coin collecting ?

I don't really know myself, but it has sure created alot of competition to get top of pop. coins and to complete sets where there wasn't so much heated competition before the ngc/pcgs registries got started.

Les

From purely a marketing and money point of view, the registry is the best thing for the slabbed coin business. From the hobby point of view, the registry has pushed old time collectors to the back of the bus, where the dealers now focus in on selling the nice, if not nicest coins, to the registry folks. Now, many coins that were priced within means have skyrocketed in price, and are just unobtainable.

TRUTH

It can be both good and bad for the collectors.

I think too many people get caught up in it. You frequently hear people talk about filling a slot. They buy a coin because some convoluted set has decided that this coin is required for it. Worse, they buy a higher grade coin for much more money, yet the coin isn't a quality coin.

With so many people focused on getting the highest graded coin, there is extreme upward price pressure on these coins. If you own them you can make a lot of money. The good news is that the undergrade coins are frequently very reasonably priced. These suckers don't want the undergrade that a 1000 other people can have. Yet, many of those undergrade coins are of the same quality for a fraction of the cost. These coins just don't have the magic cert number.

The saddest thing about the registries is the people who think that being #1 means they have the finest set. This is especially true across the street. And even worse in the modern proof sets. I think these people will get hurt more than most. These are the cert chasers that are going to find their coins worth a fraction of the value.

Overall, for the hobby, it is a small blip. The registry fever has already started to cool. Likely the ego driven people who were pushing the registry will move on to something else in the future.

It's great if you're making money from coin submissions and / or selling top pop coins to registry set participants.

It's horrid if you are a collector who isn't interested in the registry. The registry idea puts more upward pressure on prices for the nicest material, encourages more and more resubmissions and increasingly ambiguous grading standards.

As a collector, I'm seeing more and more MS 66 & MS 67 slabbed type coins that IMO are clearly substandard for the grade. It has gotten so bad that I actually had a guy at a major auction house thank me for asking detailed questions about a lot in their auction. He told me that many of the calls he gets are "what is the grade on the coin & what do you think it will go for?"

I also agree that this contributes to the potential for dealer manipulation re the pricing of low pop high graded coins.

I have to wonder. In the late '70s and late '80s, when "major investment dollars" got into coin collecting, the 'investors' had their heads handed to them. I'm wondering if we will see history repeat itself.

I agree that the Registries are a great marketing tool for the Services and for dealers. The point on the Pop-Top's is also well taken. Prices on these Modern Coins have escalated to the point where I do not see how they can be sustained. I think that the result is that most collectors will not buy the super-grade moderns. This segment of the market is starting to correct and I hope it does not drag everything else with it.

I always miss these trends, because like the Dot-Com stocks, I can not predict how long the bubble will stay inflated before bursting. Because of this, I will not play in these markets. Problem is: in the Stock Market, the bubble burst and took everything else down along with it.

The point on the Pop-Top's is also well taken.

Totally off topic, but does anyone else HATE that stupid term Pop Top™ as much as me? A pop top is on a soda. This isn't the first time the people across the street have flipped words around and tradmarked them.

I'll be back, I'm going to the Wash Car™.

These slabbed things, they have become like trophies (the registry), when nothing could be farther from the truth. They are nothing more than the whims of our eclectic tastes. And little do they represent the prowess or knowledge of the collectors (with a few exceptions), rather for many (not all) they are more of a statement of wealth and a crow's desire for shiny baubles.

Have the registries done good or bad for the hobby? It depends on how you view it. The advent of certified coins (that which belies the registries), is overall good for the near-standardization of consistent grading on a large geographic scale. In a hobby replete with potential for scandal in grading, slabbing is a good thing. The registries are simply a "next step" in that organization, like certain other organizational states are in any chaotic system. But they have been capitalized upon. Not wrong nor bad, just a side effect of the game.

If there is any substantial bad, it's that ego rules, talent is generally lost, and those who may wish to enter the fore are easily daunted by the sheer expense of adding coins that may satisfy their own eclectic tastes to their collections. This means that we should all work a little harder to encourage a broader view of the hobby than seeking out the nonsensical placement of #1 in registry sets. Indeed, a starting place is realizing that, for the most part, the sets are not even representative of what the best sets in the nation likely look like. Like all things, the ego is a thin and beguiled companion, signaled by want.

Hoot

From purely a marketing and money point of view, the registry is the best thing for the slabbed coin business. From the hobby point of view, the registry has pushed old time collectors to the back of the bus, where the dealers now focus in on selling the nice, if not nicest coins, to the registry folks. Now, many coins that were priced within means have skyrocketed in price, and are just unobtainable.

TRUTH

Sometimes you get a better perspective by watching the goings on from the back of the bus. . .

It all depends on the side of the coin you are on:

Dealer: If your a dealer who deals in registry coins or top graded coins and have a bunch of people looking for that coin for their registry set, it will go to the highest bidder. The dealer can basically put any price on the coin as long as there is a sucker... I mean... registry participant willing to pay the dealers price.

MaxACollector: Doesn't care about price, just cares about being number 1. Will pay anything. I can get some coins graded for free for participating, Cool!

JoeCollector: He likes the registry but will never have a chance at being number one although he has some splended coins in his collection. He would like nothing better than to finish off his collection but everytime he see's a coin he can add to his collection, MaxACollector, has bid the coin too high out of his reach. But I can get some coins graded for free for participating, Cool!

CGC: (Coin Grading Company) We just promote it, we just grade them. Perhaps we will have the collector send it in more than once to get the grade the coin deserves smile.gif

Me: I can't be bothered. I have some nice collections that I am working on. Registry or no registry, my collection will always be number 1 in my book. I don't need a Registry Pin, Patch, Belt Buckle or Watch to make me proud of my collection.

-Dave

As a collector, on "pop top" and high grade coins. I'm more interested in meeting and discussing coins with the guy who had a lifetime of dedication to the hobby as a collector who did all the footwork in seaching and studying and locating those great coins. And I have!

What kind of conversation can you have with the guy who store-bought his collection? Hi Bob, That's a very nice state quarter you got there Bob. How did you come about obtaining such a coin? Bob replies, I bought it off ebay for $8,000! Nice going there Bob, how about this one? That was $10,000! Alright Bob! Of course, Bob has a very big smile on his face and he's as happy as an old lady winning at bingo. 893whatthe.gif So where can you go with that in conversation? Not very far people.

Leo

Pat,

That may be so, but you have to put up with those collectors in the back of the bus with the stereos real loud and the funny smell. 893whatthe.gif

TRUTH

goodevil.gif I read this thread with mixed feelings. It appears that long time collectors who have enjoyed this hobby/business well before the recent boom in collecting created by the state quater program, are resentful of the so called "new collector."

I think it is important to consider that many of these "new collectors' are actually "old collectors" that filled Whitman books with pennies & nickels found in circulation and traded with friends at school. Now, they are older, certainly more affluent than when they were 12, and now pursuing a childhood hobby with vigor.

The cynical attitude present in this thread is critical of the upward price pressure for ultra grade coins and other nice coins which to add to the registry sets. Why is this? Some of the renowned collectors in our hobby, like Eliasberg, sought out the very finest coins. Enter the certified coins; I don't think it is at all common for the registry set particiapants to merely seek out the certified grade without regard to the eye appeal of the coin. Sure there are exceptions, but all one has to do is study auction results. Those coins with superb eye appeal garner significantly higher hammer prices than blah coins of the same grade, date & mint. The buyers are still buying the nicest looking coins, not just the slab.

The period of depressed prices prior to 1999 have allowed "old collectors" to expand collections for less money. Current prices do make collecting more expensive and if you are not selling anything, it's tough.

Certification for whatever purpose, whether it be for use in registry sets or personal collections or as an aid to sell, is weeding out cleaned, altered and counterfeit coins from the market. That's good if you are buying coins. Obviously it's bad if one is discovered in your personal collection. On the other hand, if that proof Washington quarter in your collection is a cameo, aren't you pleased with the tremendous increase in it's new-found and finally recognized value?

I sincerely believe Registry sets are a natural progression of the hobby. The registry allows collectors to utilize this fabulous internet media to view other sets and to see where they fit in the grand scheme of things. I don't dabble in the super coins, modern or otherwise. Some do and I don't feel jealous or criticize their methods or motives. After all, some may be the Eliasbergs of the future our grand children will read about.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif There are so many ways to enjoy coin collecting. Seeking the finest one can afford has always been the primary governing factor of coin collectors. What's so different about collectors pursuing registry set rankings or super coin sets as opposed to type sets or denominational date/mint sets? Nothing as far as I can tell.

Personally I like the idea of the registry - I'm just not so sure I like the way some collectors utilize it. There is nothing wrong with being proud of something you have accomplished and being willing or wanting to share it with others. But then again - I have never met a single person who much cares for a braggart.

For the vast majority of my collection I collect only the finest available. Now that may be limited by my income at times - at other times it is not. But I do not participate in the registries - knowing what I have and what I have accomplished is enough for me. I do not need to tell the world. But apparently some others desire the recognition the set registries afford them. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

For throughout the history of the hobby of collecting coins there have been those who were recognized as having one of if not the finest collection. The set registry is merely the modern version of that.

I do not care for the effect it has had on coin prices. I do not blame the registries solely for the huge increases. To do so would be folly - but they have certainly played a part in it. I also do not care for the effect that the registries have had on some collectors. It's almost like it has turned them into snobs that look down on those who do not participate as somehow being inferior. And to me - that is a joke. For there are collections out there that would make some of the registry sets pale beside them. But these snobs as I call them are not even aware that such collections exist. That is their loss. I do not mean to imply that all registry members would fall into this class - far from it. But they certainly exist.

The numismatic community is a brotherhood. And all members of it deserve to be looked upon as equals regardless of the grade of the coins or the types coins they collect. And the registry sets have done some harm to this in my opinion.

Don't misunderstand my earlier comments. I like playing in the Registries as well. I do not even know how many Registry Sets I have on this site, but it is at least 15 sets. Most of these are in the top ten, except the Moderns (i.e. Roosies, Franklins) most of those Modern Sets are in the Top 20.

My more highly rated sets are mostly Type and Gold. I have only a few sets in the top 5 of their respective catagories. I like the mid-level (Collector) competition of the Registries, but not compitition at the all-or-nothing mentality level. I prefer to put together a nice representative sets of higher grade, tough coins. I do not have many MS67 coins. But, I do have several consistantly high grade sets, none of which are Pop-Top, but several coins in each set are Conditional Rarities of Type and date.

I even broke down my Kennedy, SBA and Ike Proof slabs to fill a Capital Holder at one time. I have since replenished the Kennedy Proofs in my Registry set. Modern sets are too easy unless you want to do the "Holy Grail" routine. I would rather spend $2000-$4000 for a rarer date Saint, or Seated Dollar then an MS68 Modern. I still like the Capital Holder sets of raw, high grade modern coins. Many of these coins are (out-of-holder) PR69DCAM Certs. These Certs. were purchased before prices became so ludicrous, though.

I read this thread with mixed feelings. It appears that long time collectors who have enjoyed this hobby/business well before the recent boom in collecting created by the state quater program, are resentful of the so called "new collector."

I don't feel "resent" for the new collectors. However, I do have a dislike for the cert chasers and ego seekers and I outright question the sanity of some people, like John Troy, the owner of the $39,100 PR70DCAM 1963 1¢ which is really worth $3. People like this are a blight on the hobby. They have no respect for the history. Every move is guided by ego. I cannot have respect for these people. Why not just buy a whore to tell you how great you are? It'd be cheaper and you get the same ego stroke.

The people who came into this hobby thanks to the state quarters can be a welcome addition to the hobby. However, some of those people are like I just described. Are these the people you want representing the hobby? Are they the future of the hobby? They'll be gone onto the next big thing in order to get stroked some more. The young collectors that stay, do we want them to follow in the footsteps of the cert chasers? Do we want to promote spending 10X the money on a coin just because the plastic says it is a better coin?

Some of the renowned collectors in our hobby, like Eliasberg, sought out the very finest coins.

From what I have read he would not have paid some insane price for a really nice modern coin.

I don't think it is at all common for the registry set particiapants to merely seek out the certified grade without regard to the eye appeal of the coin. Sure there are exceptions, but all one has to do is study auction results. Those coins with superb eye appeal garner significantly higher hammer prices than blah coins of the same grade, date & mint. The buyers are still buying the nicest looking coins, not just the slab.

I somewhat disagree. I would say that probably 95%+ of the registry set players buy grade over quality. Practically none admit this, but we know this isn't the case. Someone has to buy the crappy coins. Why spend $5000 on a nice MS67 with great eye appeal when you can spend $2500 and get an ugly one that gives you the same amount of points.

The eye appealing coins go for more because there is a subset of the collectors that recognize quality over grade. These are the people fighting it out for the nice coins. These are the people building great collections. These are the people I have respect for.

Something Laura (Legend) recently said stuck with me. She basically said something to the effect that in a major auction there is maybe 2%* of coins worth going after. *Might have been a different percent, but the message was the same.

On the other hand, if that proof Washington quarter in your collection is a cameo, aren't you pleased with the tremendous increase in it's new-found and finally recognized value?

Sure am. However, my Roosevelt isn't a FT and I'm unhappy now because its value is less. frown.gif I found some of the whining across the street pretty amazing. When the FT designation was started there was one person who had a high ranking set whining that it sucks since his set now won't rank as high because not all his coins are FT. He didn't like the FT designation, but felt compelled to collect FT in order to keep his rank in the registry. I'd love to slap that person. What the hell is he collecting for? These are the cert chasers. These are the people who buy grade over quality. Sadly, these are the people that will scream night and day that they buy the coin and not the slab. rantpost.gif

I read this thread with mixed feelings. It appears that long time collectors who have enjoyed this hobby/business well before the recent boom in collecting created by the state quater program, are resentful of the so called "new collector."

This might very well be the case but I am a "new collector" but the registry just doesn't do it for me. I view it as a marketing scheme which brings in more money to the grading services and artificially raises the price on certain coins. Although I don't participate in it, I say more power to the collector who is involved in it. Collect what you enjoy, have fun with your collection, proudly show your collection off...

-Dave

gmarguli,

Your post is excellent reading and well supported.

It sounds like the ones making newsprint headlines are the ones most resented for what is considered "ridiculous purchases." Those same transactions are driven by underbidders so there must be at least 2 crazies involved. insane.gif I think that scenario is a reasonable assumption.

There is a general rule that "there is always the 10 percenters" that capture the attention in any grouping of people, regardless of the organization. I'm a Vietnam veteran and a small percentage of Viet vets make all the news and provide the public with what it generally conceived as the typical image of a Viet vet. Nothing could be further from reality and that is what I suspect may be the case regarding the registry set participants held in such distaste here. We don't have a choice here about who makes news headlines. That example is beyond our control so all we can do is quietly and professionally go on about our business as efficiently as possible.

Keep up the good work, educating whenever possible and adapting to changes in the hobby, like the FT designation. We've adapted to the full band, full bell, full steps and some other strike standards. I guess if we are interested in upgrading our sets to the best possible strike, to go with our numerical grade, we just have to keep working at it. Otherwise, keep doing it like you always have. Bottom line is do it the way you like it, "have it your way."

Thanks for the great exchange of information. I've learned alot here already.

893applaud-thumb.gif

Well, Greg, I have always hated that phrase as much as you have. Hated it so much that I won't even write it, but you know what it is.

Whomever came up with the idea of a Registry in its current, practical form, should be given an enormous bonus by the third-party certification companies. This concept has driven submission rates skyward and has likely also driven crackout rates skyward.

I feel no disdain, resentment or loathing for Registry participants. Heck, I have a Registry set at NGC and I did it because I wanted to support their vastly superior effort in weighting the sets than the weak, sloppy effort put out by PCGS. The problems that I have with the Registry have already been largely written about in this thread. That is, the obssession of some for the population numbers of high grade coins and the high grade coins with no look that have to be in some percentage of Registry sets.

The second statement is written because I have seen too many Registry sets that have been started in one month and nearly finished in the next month. There is no way that all these sets are being built by people who are carefully screening the extant coins to make certain to buy only the nicest and best coins. This irks me somewhat when those collections are then regarded as somehow superior to collections that are built through the pursuit of eye appeal. The first statement has to do with the inconsistencies of the grading services and the discontinuity between grade and eye appeal. The subtle shifts in grading standards result in coins migrating from one grade to another, however, depending on the timing of submission, the coin has only one grade. Therefore, many of the highest graded coins are products of the coin's attributes, the current graders' bias and the timing of the submission with respect to the grading atmosphere. I don't care for that at all.

Lastly, on a purely personal and selfish level, I love wonderfully toned coins and these coins are hit doubly hard by the Registry. This is because many of these coins get a boost in their grades due to their color. When the search for wonderful color is compounded by the search for a high grade we get exploding prices on these coins. Some are worth well more than I think rational and I have pulled out from some coins because of this.

The registries? To win at all costs, even at the expence of others.

The registries could be a good thing if all the dealer-turned shysters would come to their senses and stop selling coins to unsuspecting buyers at registry inflated prices. smirk.gif

Sure, just about every other dealer would like to snag the big sucker before this hype dies out. 27_laughing.gif

The registries? Do I need recognition that bad! Maybe I didn't get the attention I needed in childhood? Is that it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Is it necessary to put my collection on a scale to be compared to others? I think not! makepoint.gif

Hey! Lookie here! What do you think of my collection...SIR? 893frustrated.gif

1938 Anacs 65 5.00 Steps Br6 Light gold toning. MS65 5 steps.

1938-D Anacs 67 f8 5.00 Steps Br6 EDS. MS64 5 steps.

1938-S Anacs 65 5.50* Steps Br6. This coin is deeply struck and is toned in an array of

colors, EDS. It's now a PCGS MS65FS. Anacs 66 and 65 5.00 Steps.

1939 Anacs 66 f8 5.25 Br8 Type 1 Rev. of 38 [wavy steps] EDS.

1939-D MS 65 5.25 Steps PAK count. Type 1. Pcgs MS66 4.75 steps T1, Beautifully toned.

1939-S Anacs 65 5.75 steps Br8 Type 1 Stunning luster and strike.

Anacs 65 5.50* Steps Br6 Type 1, Gold & rainbow peripheral T, Minor carbon spotting.

1939 Anacs 67 5.00 Steps Br8 Stunning luster, T2, POP 2/0. 4 MS64 to 66 FS.

1939-D Anacs 66 5.50 Steps Br6 Type 2.

1939-S Anacs 66 5.9 Steps Br7 Type 2. Just misses 6 steps.

1940 Anacs 66 5.00 Steps Beautifully toned. MS65 6.00 Br6

1940-D Anacs 67 f8 6.00 Steps Br7. Anacs 67 5.75 Steps Br7. Anacs 66 6.00. MS 65 5.75.

1940-D Anacs 65 6 Steps Awesome toning. 1940-D Anacs 65 6 steps PL

1940-S Anacs 65 6.00 Steps Br5 Light gold. 2-Anacs 65 5.00 and 5.5 steps.

1941 Anacs 66 f8 6.00 Steps Br6 EDS. 2- MS 65 5.00

1941-D Anacs 67 6.00 Steps Br7 Deep red russet tone. 3 MS66-67 5-6 steppers.

1941-S Pcgs 65 5.00 Steps Br7 PL*. MS 65+ 5.75 Steps Br6, Just misses 6 steps.

1942 MS65 f7 5.25 Steps.

1942-D Anacs 67 f8/str 6.00 Steps Br5, Deep russet tone, EDS POP. 3/0.

Anacs 65 5.9 steps. MS 67 5.50 steps. MS 65+ 6.00.

1942-P Anacs 66 f8/str 5.25 Br8, now a PCGS MS66FS. Anacs 66 f7/str 5.00 Br7.

1942-S Anacs 66 f8 6.00 Steps Br7, Touch of blue toning, EDS, POP. 3/0.

1943-P Anacs 67 5.75 Steps Br8, now a PCGS MS67FS

1943-P Anacs 67 5.50 DDO FS-029 Die 6 DOUBLE EYE variety.

1943/2-P PCGS 66 f8/str 5.75* Br7 EDS rev. old green slab.

1943-D Anacs 67 5.25 Steps Br7. 2- MS 65 5.75. MS 65 6.00.

1943-S Anacs 66 5.5 Steps Br7, now a PCGS MS67FS. Anacs 67 f8 5.25 EDS Br8 Stunning luster and strike. Anacs 67 5.25 Steps Br7. 2-MS 65 5.00.

1944-P Anacs 67 f7 5.5 Steps Touch of yellow, red gold toning. Anacs 65 5.25 Steps Br7.

1944-D PCGS 67 f8 6.00* Steps Br7 Yellow Gold toning. Anacs 67 5.5 Steps D/D* Br6.

Anacs 66 5.5 Steps D/D Br7 Lt Gold. Anacs 65 5 Steps D/D RPM-6. Anacs 64 6 steps

1944-S Anacs 66 5.50 Steps Br7, now a PCGS MS66FS. Anacs 65 5.50 Lam.

1945-P Anacs 66 5.25 Steps Br7. 2- MS 65 5.25 One is P/P.

1945-D Anacs 67 5.75 Steps Br7. Anacs 66 5.50 Steps.

Anacs 66 5.00. Anacs 65 5 Steps Br6 D/D RPM-32.

1945-S Anacs 67 5.25 Steps Br7, MS 4/5 5.75 Steps Br7 Close to 6 steps.

1946 Anacs 65 6.00* Steps Br7 Obv. PL, Gold rev. toning.

1946-D Anacs 65 6.00 Steps Br6 Gold toning. Anacs 67 f6 5.5.

1946-S Anacs 66 5.25 Steps Br6 Silver toning. Anacs 65 5 Steps PL*

1947 Anacs 66 5.00 Br6 Rainbow toning. Anacs 65 5.00. 2 MS65 FS

1947-D Anacs 65 6.00 Br6 Rainbow toning, 1/0. Anacs 66 5.9 Br6 Rainbow toning.

Anacs 66 5.00 Br6 Neon red, blue, green, orange, pink.

1947-S Anacs 66 6.00 Br6 Rainbow toning 2/0 EDS. Anacs 66 5.5 EDS.

1948 MS 65 f7 5.25 Br6 Light gold toning.

1948-D Anacs 66 5.75 Br6 Bull’s eye toning, now a PCGS MS66FS

1948-S Anacs 66 f7 5.00 Steps Fully strucked, lt gold Toning. MS66...Lustrous.

1949 MS65 5.00b, MS64 f6 5.00b Br5 Gold toning. MS64 6.00 steps Off-centered 25%.

1949-D Anacs 67 f6/m5 5.25 Br6 Gold toning. Anacs 66 5.00*.

1949-S Anacs 65 f7 5.50 Br7, now a PCGS MS65FS

1950 Anacs 66 5.25* Br6 Lt. gold tone and prooflike.

1950-D Anacs 66 6.00 2/0, Anacs 67 5.25 3/0, Anacs 66, 2- A65 5. 3 MS65 5.00.

1951 Anacs 65 5.00 Br5 Deep gold toning, Strong strike. Lot of 6th step.

MS 4/5 5.00 Br7 EDS.

1951-D Anacs 66 f7/6 5.50 Br6 Light gold.

1951-S Anacs 65 PL f8 5.00 Br8 EDS POP. 1/1

1952 MS64 m5 5.25 Br6 Light gold toning.

1952-D Anacs 66 f8 5.00 Br6 Gold toning EDS.

1952-S Anacs 66 5.00, Anacs 65 5.00 Br6 Light silver toning, sold.

1953 Anacs 65 5.00 Br5 Blue to gold centers, a 1/0 coin at one time.

1953-D PCGS 65 5.00 steps.

1953-S Anacs 65 5.00 Br7 Fully strucked, EDS.

1954 MS 4/5 f7 5.00 Br7 Light silver tone.

1954-D Another tough date to find in gem condition.

1954-S Anacs 64 m5/f7 5.00 Br6 Gold toning.

1954-S Anacs 64 m5/f7 5.00 Br7 Light gold toning.

1954-S/D Anacs 65 FS-033 OMM-1 Br6 Lt Gold.

1955 Anacs 65 5.00 Dark.

1955-D MS65 Brilliant, strong strike, near 5 steps 4 c.s. Best 55-D I’ve seen.

1955-D/S Anacs 66, Anacs 65. Need one with 4+ steps.

1956 MS 64 5.50 Br5 Strong strike, blue and green toning.

1956-D Anacs 64 f7 5.00 Steps. M65 5 steps, Steve Kent coin.

1957 Anacs 66 PL 5.25 Br9 Light gold toning.

1957-D Anacs 65 5.5 Steps Close to 6 steps. Pcgs 65 5.00. MS64 5.00 Br6 Light gold toning.

1958 Anacs 64 f6 5.00 Gold toning.

1958-D Anacs 65 6.00 steps. MS 65 5.75 Br6 Light blue/green toning.

Anacs 65 5.5 Steps DBL Die Rev.

1959 Anacs 66 5.25 Br7 PL*. Anacs 65 5.00 PL. PCGS 65 6.00*. MS65 5.00 Bulls-eye toning.

1959-D Anacs 65 5.00 Br7.

1960 Anacs 65 5.00 Br6 Light blue and green toning, EDS.

1960-D Anacs 64 w1/m5 4.75 Br6 Slightly flat cheek.

1961 MS 4/5 5.00 Br6 Light gold toning.

1961-D MS 65 4.75 Br6 Pheripheral toning, EDS.

1962 Anacs 65 5.00 Br7. Anacs 65 5 Steps Semi PL

1962-D MS64 5.00n Br6 gold toning.

1963 Anacs 65 f7/6 5.00 Br6 Light tone. *Anacs 65 5.00.

1963-D PCGS 65 5.00* steps. Hit on cheek, grades MS64.

1964 MS65 5.00. Sold.

1964-D Anacs 64 5.00 Br7. Anacs 64 PL 4.50 Br9 Frosted.

1965 Anacs 66 m5 Box 5.00 Br5 Rainbow toning. MS 65 m6 Box 5.00 Br6. PCGS 65 5.00*.

1966 Anacs 64 f6/m5 Box 5.00 Br7 Light gold toning.

1968-D Anacs 64 5.00 Br7 Very light gold toning.

1968-S PCGS 65 5.25 steps*

1969-D MS66 4.50 st 3 cs. PL Extra thick planchet, Sold $56. Wish I hadn't!

1969-S MS66 f7 3+ steps Br7 Very nice.

1970-D MS65 5.00 Br7.

1970-S PCGS 65 5.00* Br7.

1971 MS65+ 6.00

1971-D MS65 5.75*

1972 MS65 5.25*

1972-D MS64 5.25*

1973 MS65 6.00* Anacs 65 5.75 steps PL rev.

1973-D Anacs 66 5.25

1973-D MS65+ 5.25**

1974 MS65 5.00

1974-D MS67 5.25

1975 MS66 5.00. Anacs 65 5.25 steps

1975-D MS64 5.75

1976 Anacs 65 5.00

1976-D Anacs 65 5.50. Anacs 64 6 Steps

1977 Anacs 65 5.25

1977-D Anacs 65 5.25 steps. MS 3/5 5.75

1978 MS 4/5 5.00

1978-D MS 65 5.50**

1979 MS 65 5.00

1979-D MS65 5.25

1980-P Anacs 65 5.00

1980-D MS 65 5.25

1981-P Anacs 66 5.00

1981-D MS 65 5.00**

1982-P A65 Bm 2811

1982-D A65 Bm 2814

1982-D A65 Bm 2816

1982-D A65 Bm 2817

1983-P A65 5.50*

1983-D A66 5.25

1984-P A66 6.00. A65 6.00. Anacs 65 5.50 steps PL rev

1984-D MS65 5.25** Anacs 65 5.25 Steps PLrev

1985-P MS65 5.00**

1985-D MS 65 5.25. Anacs 65 5.50 Steps PL*

1986-P Anacs 65 5.00

1986-D MS 65 5.25**

1987-P MS 65 6.00**

SEGS66 6.00 PL*

1987-D MS65 6.00**

1988-P MS65 6.00**

1988-D MS65 6.00**

1989-P A65 PL 6.00

1989-D MS 65 6.00

1990-P MS 65 6.00**

1990-D MS 65 6.00

1991-P A65 6.00**

1991-D

1992-P MS65 6.00

1992-D Anacs 66 6.00

1993-P MS65 6.00

1993-D Anacs 65 6.00**

1994-P MS4/5 6.00

1994-P A63 Broadstruck

1994-D MS 65 6.00**

1995-P A65 Broadstruck

1995-D MS65 6.00

1996-P MS 65 6.00

1996-D A67 6.00. MS 67 6.00 PL

1997-P MS65 6.00**

1997-D MS66 6.00**

1998-P A65 6.00

1998-D MS65 6.00

1999-P A64 Broadstruck. A66 Partial Collar

1999-D Anacs 65 6 steps PL

2000-P

2000-D Anacs 65 6.00

2001-P

2001-D

2002-P 65, 66 6s PL

2002-D Anacs 65 6 steps PL*

PROOFS

1938 MS66 5.50 Light frost.

1938 MS66 6.00 Lt. frost Extra thick planchet.

1939 P66 Frosted Obv. Rev. 1938

1939 PCGS PR66 Mod. frost Rev. 1940

1940 Rev. 1938

1940 PCGS 65 Lt Frost

1941 PCGS 67 Lt Frost

1942 P66 Mod. Frost. P66 Lt Frost, P67 Light.

1942-P MS66 Frosted.

1942-P Anacs65 Frosted

1950 Anacs 66 Cameo

1950 N67 Cameo*

1952 P66 Cameo

1953 A66 Cameo

1954 P67 Cameo

1956 P67 Cameo

1957 P67 Cameo

1958 N67 Cameo

1959 A67 Cam Rainbow toning.

1960 MS65 Cameo

1962 N68 Ultra Cameo

1963 N68 Cameo

1964 P68 Cameo. P67DC

1966 A67 Cameo 5 steps

1967 A65 Heavy Cam 5 steps*

1968 S P68 Deep Cameo

1969 S MS67 Deep Cameo

1970 S MS65 Blue Cameo

1971 S N68 UCam

1972 S P68 Deep Cameo

1973 S MS67 Deep Cameo

1974 S MS65 Blue Cameo

1975 S on up 2001-S are Pf67

or higher in Deep cameo. A few

have rainbow to gold toning.

1994-P Specimen Anacs69

1997-P Specimen MS69**

End of collection.

(*) not on holder. 1971 to date stands for multiples of that date.

(Br) followed by number measures Brilliant and luster in 1 to10 range. Where omitted, it's a f/7.

(f/7) Strike range 1 to 10

(n) nick (b) bridge in steps.

Thanks for looking.

Of course, it's not entombed by one single grading service but most of the coins have been upgraded several times over the last 12+ years. Wouldn't you think there'd be some pretty nice coins in this collection? Of course not, because it's not a certified registry collection. insane.gif

Oh well, to each his own. As long as it's not at the expence of others. stooges.gif

Not all is lost here my friends, because there are many high quality coins out there to be had and you will find (and I'm certain you have) many great honest dealers. But the major problem that will divide and break the registries is.....well, I won't say for now. 893blahblah.gif893censored-thumb.gif

Cheers, Leo acclaim.gif

Nice set Leo! Hope I have the chance to peek at it some day!

Hoot

Thanks Hoot

Did you have a look at the 58 on ebay. With that nick on the cheek, it actually grades MS64, but relocate it anywhere else but the profile then I would want that coin but not at $400.

This is the typical example I'm talking about. Dealers feed on this hype and will take it to every collector regardless if they play the registries or not! Raw and certified! I have great respect for the seller of this coin.

He got lucky with the grade, puts it up for auction and the fish are biting. 27_laughing.gif

Leo

Just took a look at it. I've seen enough '58s to believe that coin is not as rare as the pops report. Funny money for that coin. I'll wait.

Hoot