• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A rare ancient coin I purchased.

9 posts in this topic

This is a prutah of Pontius Pilate. It comes from the collection of the worlds leading authority on his coins. Something about this coin makes it very special, and rare. Only a few examples of it coins like this are known, around 5 would be my guess. Anyone care to guess what is so rare about it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1386096-1ab.jpg

One thing I love about ancients is that unlike U.S. coinage, a collector can own a coin inwhich only 1 or two examples are known, and not have to pay thousands for it.

1386096-1ab.jpg.18df5339c4caf6a31282dacc973b7c30.jpg

Think they dig those up all the time in France.

Thing wants me to tell you all the answer will be posted in 2 weeks. (See Strikes forum)

This is a prutah of Pontius Pilate. It comes from the collection of the worlds leading authority on his coins. Something about this coin makes it very special, and rare. Only a few examples of it coins like this are known, around 5 would be my guess. Anyone care to guess what is so rare about it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1386096-1ab.jpg

One thing I love about ancients is that unlike U.S. coinage, a collector can own a coin inwhich only 1 or two examples are known, and not have to pay thousands for it.

Looks fake. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

TRUTH

Anyone care to guess what is so rare about it?

The lituus is backwards, it is facing right on all of the examples I have seen.

Correct!!!! The entire obverse and reverse are retrograde.

Anyone care to guess what is so rare about it?

The lituus is backwards, it is facing right on all of the examples I have seen.

Correct!!!! The entire obverse and reverse are retrograde.

It still looks fake.

TRUTH

You still look fat.

The Real Truth

Just kidding my chubby hairball amigo!!!! You are well known and have a good reputation when it comes to information on certain areas of numismatics. I value your opinion as much as TJ values his local bail bond agent. I appreciate your input. Have a nice day!

You still look fat.

The Real Truth

Just kidding my chubby hairball amigo!!!! You are well known and have a good reputation when it comes to information on certain areas of numismatics. I value your opinion as much as TJ values his local bail bond agent. I appreciate your input. Have a nice day!

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

TRUTH