• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much do you think this will sell for?

30 posts in this topic

I think it is a PCGS farce and will make a killing doing this and probably will again .. where the penny is having another speculative run at its demise why not take advantage of the GROWING COLLECTING Community. It will probably end up on EBAY or worse HSN with 5 or 6 of its newly graded Brothers ..

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

August 29, 2006

It took 20 years and over 160,000 tries, but in August 2006, the Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS) finally assigned the MS-70 grade to a Lincoln cent struck for circulation. The historic coin is a perfect 2003 Cent in full Red MS-70.

Didn't PCGS have to buy back a 70 graded Lincoln Cent a few years ago.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

August 29, 2006

It took 20 years and over 160,000 tries, but in August 2006, the Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS) finally assigned the MS-70 grade to a Lincoln cent struck for circulation. The historic coin is a perfect 2003 Cent in full Red MS-70.

Didn't PCGS have to buy back a 70 graded Lincoln Cent a few years ago.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Close. There was a infamous PCGS PF70 1963 1C. It had a surface contaminant which turned the coin a very ugly haze. The owner had the coin in a Heritage sale. At the time the of the sale, the on line bid on the coin was $51K. PCGS made historic and unfortunate precedent by having a representative announce that they were "disavowing" the coin, or in other words revoking their guarantee unilaterally. Well, the coin did not sell and PCGS offered the owner a price to "take it off the market", which the owner took. Just wait a couple of years on this one.

TRUTH

I agree it'll go, with the proper promotion (that's already on a roll...) for 30K.

And, TRUTH, I thought that PCGS PR70 developed a couple of easily-seen-with-the-naked-eye specks and not so much an ugly haze. No?

I'd guess in the $60,000 vicinity but I'm not good at guessing this sort of thing.

It's the finest Lincoln in existence and will appeal to a very broad base of collectors including some who aren't even coin collectors. While few collectors pay any attention to post-1964 issues there are still those who do. There are also lots of type collectors who will all desire this piece.

I'd guess at least $40,000 and maybe as high as double that. There are a lot of stupid people with money in this world and some of them have to be looking at this coin and thinking it'd be nice to own.

I just figured something out. I could not understand how this coin could have been submitted 160,000 times. That would be several thousand times a year over 20 years.

I just read it again and realized they are talking about ALL cents submitted over a 20 year period and this one made MS70. Boy, am I dense? No need to comment on how dense I am. wink.gif

As for what this one will go for, I will say $21,000. Wait until it turns in the holder and it gets disavowed though, then see how much it goes for.

Jonathan

I have absolutely no idea what it will sell for. But I promise you it will be a fool who buys it.

The mere fact that anyone would own such a coin is sufficient evidence of a severe mental condition. The current owner will be glad to be rid of it.

So, out of some 500,000,000,000 Lincoln's minted in recent years on the most modern machinery available - and with literally hundreds of collectors pulling out the finest ones for certification, only one has been found to grade MS-70? It doesn't get more ridiculous than that. I get so sick of the political intrigue that pollutes the hobby.

What are the odds confused-smiley-013.gif that only one in five-hundred-billion coins grades MS-70?

On the other hand, can there truly be a "perfect" coin?

James

Wow, just look at that shiny…perfect… label. I find the penny distracting.

yeahok.gif

Hays

lol... Hays we know your secretly putting a bid in on it... hehe j/k

I only wish I had the money to bid on it!

I would have the sweetest collection of labels cloud9.gif

Hays

The picture is up of the "Holy Grail" of numismatics.

c22661018-a.jpg

Over the years I've had the opportunity to hold some of the greatest coins in numismatics including the King of Siam coins and a 1894-S 10c and grade rarities like PF69 Morgan and GEM BU Bust coinage. None of that compares to the thrill of holding this coin. My life is now complete.

BTW, there is a hairline on the shoulder so it's not an MS70. And I can't say the coin looks any better than many MS68s (not MS69s, but MS68s). However, bid strong. You can be #1 thumbsup2.gif