• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Throw Me a Grade and opinion on this Merc

11 posts in this topic

I can see what appears to be a bunch of scattered ticks. I would guess no higher than MS63.

The color looks off. The reverse gives me a lot of concern. A guess is that it is dip residue or AT.

Hey Greg - glad to see you around! smile.gif

I'm posting a different, hopefully clearer picture to see what you and the rest of the folks might think. There is only one very minute hit on Liberty's jawline, and another teeny hit on her cap, otherwise the coin has pretty clean surfaces on both the obverse and the reverse. The reverse is gun metal grey - the area under E-PLURIBUS-UNUM made me wonder like you if the coin had dip residue, but the rest of the coin didn't seem to go along with this assessment. The colors on the obverse remind me of bag toning I guess we'll have to wait and see until the coin gets graded, I'll be sending it in with my next batch of toned roosies. Thanks for your input!

Frank

1941%20Mercury%202.jpg

I don't know how much I like it. It has that "muddy" look, especially to the reverse, that one sees occassionally on Mercs and that hurts their resale value. If the obverse is pastel pink, blue and gold then it could be quite attractive. If, however, it is really ruddy then I don't think I would like it. It looks like the image was taken with tons of light so I would expect a coin with less flash and darker, less distinct colors.

It's difficult to tell from the photos, but from what I can see probably MS60 at best, assuming it's UNC. The trouble with smaller coins is that there is less tolerance for marks and this coin is chewed.

Frank,

Please don't take this personally, but I would not send that coin in for grading. It's a common date & if the image is true, there appears to be some light wear on above the lowest vertical band in the center of the fasces & on this vertical band itself. That means AU to me. The color on the obverse is also questionable.

I got three common date BU Mercs at an auction 35 years ago. They're still in their original 2 x 2 holders. I never sent them in because I think they'd grade MS 4, 5 & the nicest may go FB 6 on a good day. These are common date coins & if the nicest went 6 FB, it would be a $35 coin. If it went 5 FB (which I think it would), I'd have a $20 coin on which I have to pay grading fees & postage.

While I don't think the scans are sharp enough to determine if there really is wear or if the toning is artificial, I can tell that the coin is rather splotchy in its coloration. It also seems to have a number of light grazes that would limit the grade to somewhere in the MS63-4 range. With that said, I don't think its worth slabbing. You would probably loose money on it blush.gif.