• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

16th Century Venetian 80S or 1/2 Scudo

2 posts in this topic

A 1578-85 Italian (Venice) 80S or 1/2 Scudo. About the size of a US half dollar, this coin is not frequently encountered. Searching auction records, I've only found two others that were sold in the last 3 years (one was rather worn and the other damaged). This is the first of this denomination that I have. There is a full Scudo, but those cost $25,000+.

1578-venice-80s.jpg

The obverse has wonderful blue green toning, lots of luster on both sides, and overall nice condition for a 425 year old coin.

I got this coin off eBay, from a seller in a former Soviet Republic, who did not take PayPal. 893whatthe.gif Good feedback, so I took a chance. The coin arrived and had a lot of lines that appeared to be die polish (visible on the reverse). I thought it might be counterfeit, but NGC just slabbed it as authentic, so I am very pleased with the coin.