• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Packaging junk silver coins for mailing

6 posts in this topic

If one were to sell some junk silver coins on ebay - coins worth nothing more than their silver content - would it still be necessary to pack them as carefully as a regular numismatic item? I'm not speaking of the exterior envelope, which would obviously have to be as robust as normal in order to arrive safely. But, would the coins need to be safely separated from each other inside the envelope, rather than being in a single bag together, for example? What's the usual way these sort of coins are mailed? How much silver content ought to be sold together to be worth the shipping costs?

I'm just thinking about selling some in the hazy future, nothing pressing.

I've sold a few bags of junk silver. Usually I'll dump them in a ziplock bag and roll the bag to prevent any smashing together. Nothing else and I've had no complaints.

FYI, junk silver seems to die on eBay. I sold 1/2lb 1lb & 2lb batches. None did any better than the other. Figure getting about 2/3 of current silver value.

You can jam all of this into a flat rate envelope for $4.05

If one were to sell some junk silver coins on ebay - coins worth nothing more than their silver content - would it still be necessary to pack them as carefully as a regular numismatic item? I'm not speaking of the exterior envelope, which would obviously have to be as robust as normal in order to arrive safely. But, would the coins need to be safely separated from each other inside the envelope, rather than being in a single bag together, for example? What's the usual way these sort of coins are mailed? How much silver content ought to be sold together to be worth the shipping costs?

I'm just thinking about selling some in the hazy future, nothing pressing.

The last i sold, i just went to my local dealer and bought a bunch of those tubes and just seperated them and tubed them. Seemed to work pretyy good and really wasn't that expensive. And i got a really good compliment for it from the buyer. confused-smiley-013.gif

If I bought junk silver off of eBay, I really wouldn't care how they were packaged, as long as they weren't loose in the envelope. Plastic baggies, little boxes, doesn't matter to me.

I've sold a few bags of junk silver. Usually I'll dump them in a ziplock bag and roll the bag to prevent any smashing together. Nothing else and I've had no complaints.

Ditto,although I've found that in the long run you'll actually make out better shipping it to a big buyer of silver like Covina Coin.They've always been good to me,even though the folks who work there are interesting characters...

I usually put them in paper rolls by denomination (even partial rolls) then wrap in bubble wrap and put in a padded envelope. Seems to work just fine.