• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The losses of commemoration

7 posts in this topic

This year marks the 200th anniversary of the birth of Ralph Waldo Emerson, a prophet by the accounts of some, a man greatly in touch with his psychological center to others, and, beyond argument, highly influential in the thinking and action of Henry David Thoreau and John Muir, the founders of the American conservation movement.

Here are the seeds of great commemoration, lost yet again in the current of political mire. Worse, there has been little mention of this passing in the popular press, except for a cheesy article in Smithsonian magazine that made a wreck of what the man contributed to the lives of Americans. No doubt, the politicians are as unaware of Emerson's contributions to American life as anyone else, so the thought that this might trickle to the Mint in the form of a solid modern commemoration does not surprise me.

In 3 more years we will have upon us the passage of yet another great's birthday. Anyone care to chime in on whom that is? And there must be others who, in my own ignorance, I am missing.

Our history is replete with the passage of greatness and our coinage is a dearth of its recognition. Makes me kind of sad.

Hoot

I will jump to the conclusion that you are writing about the birth of Benjamin Franklin, although there are no doubt others you could have been thinking of.

It is a sad commentary on our times, our political leaders, our Mint's will and our public awareness that true commemoration in an artisitic, meaningful and altruistic manner is seemingly forgotten. frown.gif893frustrated.gif

Yes Tom, I was thinking o Ben Franklin. So far, I have not heard any murmur of such a commemoration, but perhaps in the closing hours something will be done.

I also thought of the commemoration of the National Wildlife Refuge system of the U.S. Nice that some medals are being produced for that. Speaking of medals, there is a U.S. Mint produced medal (now available) that commemorates our first coinage. Nice piece of history.

Hoot

I'm sorry, but why on earth would we want to honor Ben Franklin when there are much more historic and important things to honor? I'm sure the Mint and Congress are working together to give us some splendid commemoratives. I hear that they are thinking of commemorating the 100th Anniversary of the First Public Toilet and also the 36th Anniversary of the Disposable Battery. mad.gif

There are so many great people, places, and events that we could honor, but I have 100% faith in the Congress and the Mint to pick meaningless things to commemorate. If by chance they pick a meaningful person/event, I have no doubt that the design will be so bland that no one would like it. They also must be PC events and people. Did Franklin ever own slaves? If so, it isn't PC to commemorate him.

For what it is worth, I think Franklin should be on one of our circulating coins. I consider him one of the greatest American ever. If you ever read a list of his accomplishments and inventions it will stun you. You just cannot imagine he did all that. It's like he wrapped 10 lifetimes into his. However, having said that, I'm not sure if it is better to NOT have him on a coin since I know full well how bad they will make it look.

hear that they are thinking of commemorating the 100th Anniversary of the First Public Toilet and also the 36th Anniversary of the Disposable Battery.

893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

I'm not sure if it is better to NOT have [Franklin] on a coin since I know full well how bad they will make it look.

lol! He wasn't exactly a great figure in form! 893whatthe.gif Perhaps a portrait could be done that indicated the way that the ladies must have seen him!

A couple of nice web sites on the man:

Benjamin Franklin: Glimpses of the Man

Benjamin Franklin: A Documentary History

Hoot

If we commemorate Franklin can we PLEASE at least make a design worth looking at this time? PLEASE!

jom

Hoot -

There is a possibility that a Franklin commem will come to pass. The anniversary you mentioned has not been forgotten.