• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post a coin you like - under $30.00

43 posts in this topic

I've been seeing so many beautiful and expensive coins since I came here that it's easy to forget that it's possible to have a lot of fun collecting coins that aren't wildly expensive. I know that at this point in my young life I'm not going to be buying many $100 coins, much less $1000 coins. Eventually, this will change, but I sincerely hope I never lose the ability to enjoy the more modest coins out there. Let's see what great coins y'all have that you bought at (or are valued) under $30.

--------------------

I bought this 1883 centless Liberty Head Nickel when I was a boy around 15 years ago. I don't remember exactly what I paid for it, but it couldn't have been more than $5-$10. I'm still learning to grade these, but I should think it's around EF-40. Overall, an interesting issue, what with the no cents issue almost everyone in collecting is aware of. This specimen has little in the way of luster, but has a fair degree of eye appeal for the grade, especially in hand - in my opinion, at least.

1324599-4800-4801-comp.jpg

1324599-4800-4801-comp.jpg.4bea3b82c57bb81d7b520ea782c8f1bd.jpg

Nice 1883 w/o, Pendragon.

I was a Liberty Nickel guy back in the day. The ding on the L in Liberty might detract from the grade because the quality of that word is one of the benchmarks of grading Liberty Nickels.

Nice photgraphy, Winston. I pulled a 1964 Kennedy out of circulation on a blackjack table at the Tropicana in Vegas last week.

This was under $30, but with shipping I believe the total was just a tad more than $30. For those unaware, finding an authentic Japanese yen from this time period that is completely original and fairly well circulated is near impossible. However, everyone wants a dipped-out, AU piece of garbage, which are extraordinarily common, and will pay multiples of what this one cost. screwy.gif

1324727-Copyofnew-345.jpg

1324727-Copyofnew-345.jpg.239ede3a2521fb3f152334bcedc8d23c.jpg

Dipped out is the way to go! tongue.gif Tom not be a dumbbunny but is the 416 the date? Nice design on that coin. I had never seen one before.

That is the weight isn't it? 416 grains 0.900 fine silver.

That is the weight isn't it? 416 grains 0.900 fine silver.

Ahhh. That would make sense. So the date is in Japanese? Do we know around what time this coin is from...in English?

I recently purchased this for $25. It's probably worth about $50, though....is that cheating? I LOVE the look of this beautiful peace (even though it wasn't minted in the U.S.). A real coin that use actually used for commerce, probably in the U.S.

1828%20Cap%20and%20Rays%20-%20Obverse.jpg

1828%20Cap%20and%20Rays%20-%20Reverse.jpg

I don't have a picture, but most probably know what they look like -- the Silver Bullion proof coins put out yearly since 1986. From the mint, they're under $30, though the ones from the mid-90s command quite a premium these days.

Howdy Winston, the year on the coin in arabic numerals, which are actually a Hindu system, is 1893. The three symbols on the left side of the coin, above 416, represent "Dai Nippon" or "Great Japan". The six symbols on the other side of the obverse read, from right to left, "Nen" or "Year" "26" "Mutsuhito" or "Meiji Era". The first year of the Meiji Era was 1868, so the twentysixth year was 1893.

While it’s not my favorite series though I have a few sets, this MS 1999 D cost me $9.00. Plus Economy Submission Fees. It’ not a good image but in hand it looks like it is chrome plated and virtually flawless. The cheeks and the hair is void of the usual bag marks with the only marks being on the outside obverse surface of the rim at 4:00.

1999dobvrevpi2.jpg

27.00 for this one in the slab.

1993toneobvrevhy0.jpg

I recently purchased this for $25. It's probably worth about $50, though....is that cheating? I LOVE the look of this beautiful peace (even though it wasn't minted in the U.S.). A real coin that use actually used for commerce, probably in the U.S.

1828%20Cap%20and%20Rays%20-%20Obverse.jpg

1828%20Cap%20and%20Rays%20-%20Reverse.jpg

Sweet coin! I like the design alot..

Here's an 8R that is a little older and that has perfect, original patina but also has an old hole at 12:00 o'clock and the remnants of some ornate inscription on the obverse. It set me back $18.

1325755-CopyofMexico1807EightR.jpg

1325755-CopyofMexico1807EightR.jpg.8374197a12bb39bca8d16395b51845a5.jpg

While it’s not my favorite series though I have a few sets, this MS 1999 D cost me $9.00. Plus Economy Submission Fees. It’ not a good image but in hand it looks like it is chrome plated and virtually flawless. The cheeks and the hair is void of the usual bag marks with the only marks being on the outside obverse surface of the rim at 4:00.

1999dobvrevpi2.jpg

Looks like one of the 1999 special mint set coins, which were the double-struck product of dies with a proof-like polish - the result being coins with the odd chrome-like effect you note.

I believe you’re correct on that Michael. And if memory serves me right, I wanted to return them because the seller described them as if they were Proof Cameo. And rather than argue and risk getting negative feedback, I decided to just keep them. And yes they look chrome plated.

Here's an 1853 large cent. I think it's in F-12, but my experience with this series is limited. Y'all agree?

My cost: $0.00 - it was a gift from Jazzy. Man, I wish things had turned out better with that whole situation.

(PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T TURN THIS INTO A JAZZY THREAD!)

1325910-1853comp.jpg

1325910-1853comp.jpg.37ae1047bc08dc8f362bc0e7154f4acc.jpg

Found this guy hanging out in a half price bucket a few years back at a local show, $19.50, nice cameo in an old holder. yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

1962-half.jpg