• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Failure to cross

19 posts in this topic

The attached coin in a PCGS PR65RB holder did not cross to NGC for 2 reasons stated on a "sticky note" returned with the coin (I do like to know the reasons for things that happen!) The first reason was that the coin was not deemed red and brown. I should have forseen that NGC would view it as brown (it was brown and green when I bought it and nothing seems to have changed in 15 years.) The second reason (although not enough to have body bagged it, according to the note.) was signs of "residue".

Until I began to read all the AT/acetone/MS/dip threads, my default position was "do nothing", just enjoy the darn thing on the theory that the residue, if any, hadn't caused much change I could see over the years. Now, I'm wondering whether any residue may have subdued or masked the underlying toning of the coin or be very slowly causing damage. (I've considered the possibility this is just a way for NGC/NCS to make a few more bucks, too!)

Has anyone dealt with this on their own or used NCS? What is the downside?

1324322-1806_1P_cropped.jpg

1324322-1806_1P_cropped.jpg.d25a963be6783970ad3ea2d7bc2543b2.jpg

Send the coin back to PCGS for downgrade. It looks BN, not RB. They will compensate you for this.

Then you can send the coin to NCS for curation. I've used them several times and have liked the results overall.

Just to close the loop on this thread, I received this 1806 British penny back from NCS/NGC. Something was removed from the surface of the coin that makes it appear brighter with more of a cameo effect. (A "before" image is in my sig line.)

My hat's off to NCS for their care and Mr. Marguli for his advice (although I skipped the part about returning the coin to PCGS because I'm retired and don't need that kind of aggravation!)

MergedpairofGeorgeIII1P2.jpg

Wow, that coin really looks far more attractive after curation. I have two in at NCS right now, I hope the results are half as attractive! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I couldn't be more pleased with the result but it was a bit nerve-racking. NCS does not use the NGC status system so you don't know anything until the coin is transferred to NGC and then I understand it could still be BB'd. I was worried about having a neon blue coin more than anything!

I have had them conserve several coins for me and they have done a really good job.

My personal preference is to remove surface residue but there are risks to it. In one case, the coin looked much better but was returned in an NCS holder as improperly cleaned. It appeared to me that a previous owner had lightly wiped the coin.

But in another which I bought from a major auciton company, they removed PVC before NGC graded it.

Thanks! It's made me wonder whether it's worth $50 to see if the (colorful but dusky) coin below has any "residue".

1806HalfpennyoresizedforSignaturese.jpg

1806HalfpennyNGCPF64BNCAr.jpg

Nah, better not get carried away. :P

You know, that coin just might have some kind of extraneous layer on it caused, perhaps, by smoke. From the picture, it doesn't appear to be simply a matter of toning on top of those proof surfaces. I've seen some coins that were kept in environments where tobacco smoke existed, and the coins displayed some kind of colorful toning, but when I used acetone to make sure there was no PVC residue, the toning came off and the underlying surfaces looked nice! True toning on a coin won't come off with an acetone rinse, but if it's "smoke toning" (actually, a film on top of the surface of the coin), the color will come off along with the film. Perhaps you might just send that one in for good measure; I seriously doubt any harm will come of it.

1jester, you don't work for NCS/NGC do you?! wink.gif

What makes me hesitate with this coin is that it already looks nicer than the 1806 penny did so improvement, if any, would likely be less. It is also designated "bronze" and if you followed the "bronze/bronzed" thread here, NGS described the bronzing process as intended to avoid the coloration copper tends to undergo (so I'm naturally confused about what's going on!)

If smoke or some other environmental factor contributed to the coin's coloration, I'm reminded of a friend's reaction when I suggested that the girl of his dreams might have been "enhanced". It was "I don't care!"

Yarm, I plead innocent of the charge of working for any of the TPGs!! lol.

I guess we'll just have to wait till you sell it to see what lies behind the color....;)

Just to close the loop on this thread, I received this 1806 British penny back from NCS/NGC. Something was removed from the surface of the coin that makes it appear brighter with more of a cameo effect. (A "before" image is in my sig line.)

My hat's off to NCS for their care and Mr. Marguli for his advice (although I skipped the part about returning the coin to PCGS because I'm retired and don't need that kind of aggravation!)

I know that this is an old thread, but out of curiosity, what did NGC grade your penny?