• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Honest opinions

12 posts in this topic

I’m posting because something kept picking at me last night and I just had to

say something. I’m not really going to rant but if you’ll indulge me take a look

at TomB’s thread entitled “May I Have Your Thoughts on Five Mid-Grade

Walking Liberty Halves?” in the US Coin section - then read this thread.

Now, I know for a fact that Tom and I have different opinions on the grade of one

of his coins – perhaps even all of them. Did you read his initial response to

me? He THANKED me for my opinion! Tom knows that I’m not attacking

him personally, he wouldn’t even be upset if I had said I hated all of his coins.

Of course I don’t, but I know he would respect my right to have an opinion

positive OR negative.

It drives me nuts when someone posts a coin then gets upset when someone

else gives their honest opinion. Keep in mind that even if you don’t ask for

the opinions, you’re still going to get them. The first thing any of us do when

we look at a coin is form an opinion. We should feel free to express it.

Tom, James, and others are known for their frank and honest assessments,

but these guys also seem to take flack for them – and it’s just not fair.

My point is, if you don’t want to hear honest opinions then don’t post a picture

of your coin. If you do post a pic, please give the same respect shown here.

Hays

WHEW!!! I saw my user ID in the text of the first post and thought to myself..."DUCK!!!" flamed.gif

However, Hays was being quite kind in his assessments and I am glad we have a core of users on these boards who are willing to share in a civil manner. smile.gif

I have to agree with Hays on this point. I don't understand why some people become so defensive when others offer their opinions on coins. Not everyone is going to agree, so you shouldn't take anything personally. There are so many people on these boards who are willing to share their love and knowledge of the hobby, and we should be grateful for that.

Chris

Honest opinions and frank assessments are an invaluable part of these forums. Without them we are only playing a fool's game of telling people what they would like to hear which may neither be true or in their best interest. makepoint.gif

Thanks, Hays, TomB, James and everyone else who is willing to speak the truth without malice and are willing to endure criticism for their efforts. We all benefit when opinions can be freely shared. They have helped me become a more astute collector. thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

My buddy Hays and all my other friends here on these wonderful NGC boards. Tom B does not need any help. He posts, if I may say so, because he wants to help others to learn. He enjoys trying to help and is one of the most knowledgable Numismatists that we are priviledged to have here with us. When he talks---we all should listen. Greatest advice you can get is for Tom to take the time to help you. And---while I am at it---he is most gracious to all of us. He holds his temper---even when he knows that his knowledge far exceeds the other party. He is a rare person in these days and times. I tip my hat to him. By the way, I get the 21 Walker for saying such nice things about him!!!!!! Bob [supertooth]

... By the way, I get the 21 Walker for saying such nice things about him!!!!!! Bob [supertooth]

27_laughing.gif

Tom - just remember that I'M the one that started this thread, so

by all rights that coin should go to me! grin.gif

Hays

This is a great thread.. I always welcome tons of HONEST Opinions on my coins and I try to provide HONEST opinions back. I hope nobody ever takes offesne to what I say or comment about thier coins.

I think the problem (and it especially seems to be true of less experienced collectors) is that we become emotionally attached to our coins and then look for affirmation of our attachment. While this isn't wrong in itself, it can create an unnecessary emotional response that tends to stifle free exchange. The fact of the matter is, we all own some (or maybe a lot) or crappy coins. I know I do, and I am more than happy to admit it. Most of the time I know they are bad when I buy them, but for some strange reason I am still drawn to a dateless SLQ in a junk bin or a worn out 1921 morgan. The most important thing for me is learning about the problems with coins that I don't see problems with. There are many areas where I just don't have expertise, like judging AT vs. NT, or die varieties on Bust Halves. For that I welcome honest critiques.

The problems usually arise when folks have emotional attachments and become defensive, or when people bash other collectors just for their tastes. I confess I used to be like that with modern coins, and some of you may recall the arguments on the PCGS boards with Cladking. Since then I've changed my position, and in fact realize that although I wouldn't pay a 5-figure price for an MS-70 state quarter, that doesn't make it inherently wrong to do so. In fact, I've come to respect Cladking's opinions on modern coins and I agree with him on the underappreciated status of early moderns, such as the first clad issues of the 1960s and 1970s. It's just nice to have such a group of enthusiasts on this board that deem it wholly unnecessary to bash others simply over shiny round pieces of metal.