• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1915-S 1922-D Lincoln

5 posts in this topic

I was searching through some of my wheat pennies, the ones I set aside to "double check" a few months ago...

1922-D: It is well circulated and could qualify as G4 smile.gif Due to the condition of it, it *is* a weak "D" smile.gif but in all seriousness, how can I tell if it really a weak variety "d" mintmark.

1915-S: I don't remember where I picked up or found this coin, it looks to be in decent condition with exception to a good deal of PVC all over it. I soaked it in acetone, just a small amount of pvc came off and underneath it looks like it ate away at the coin a bit... unfortunately the pvc is really stubborn. Would a soak in olive oil or mineral oil do a better job?

If for anything, they will make good fillers smile.gif

Thanks,

Dave

If memory serves, at the GD-04 level, you wouldn't be able to see the D without magnification unless it was the D mint. The weak D has traces of the D that is barely visible, but also shows a weakly struck reverse.

Unfortunately, it is so warn, I needed the magnifying glass just to see the last 2 in the date. The "D" is also warn down, I figure in the condition it's in, if I can see the D, it's not the weak variety.

Anyone have a good picture of both for comparison... just in case I get lucky one of these days.

Thanks,

Dave

Thanks for the link, that penny looks immaculate compared to mine smile.gif My "D" although hardly noticeable is definately not a weak struck "D". It gives me a better idea what I'm looking for.

Thanks,

Dave