• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Double Eagle I would think is at least EF-40...

11 posts in this topic

I am considering sending this out to be slabbed.

Any guesses as to what I can expect when it comes back?

I dont see any problems that would cause a no-grade...and I know it hasnt been cleaned because my Grandfather was the original owner...and he wasnt a collector really, just invested in coins. He bought a lot of these and just kept them in tubes hidden in his basement for about 70 years. Before he passed away he distributed some among the kids...this is one of mine:

DEO.JPG

The question for me is would it slab? Whats going on in the fields of the coin? Moreso the front side right in front of her face?

The question for me is would it slab? Whats going on in the fields of the coin? Moreso the front side right in front of her face?

Contact marks in the fields, hairlines on the cheek, and plain old bad photography.

The reverse is much better than the picture...the shield is just about perfect...every line is crisp.

I was hoping for AU, but I havent graded gold before and I dont know what the allowances are for hairlines. Being such a soft metal, its difficult to imaging a 100 year old raw coin in this weight without some light wear.

Considering the value, I am inclined to submit it...if it bags, worst case I am out a few bucks but at least know the accurate condition of the coin. If it grades...I make a family heirloom a permanent fixture, sealed for at least the rest of my life!

I hope hairlines wou;d not bag it. Good luck! Nice gold btw!

I think hairlines was the wrong terminology...I just meant very minor surface scratches from light wear. From looking at this coin the past few days I have been thinking AU-50 or 55. I cant see anything that jumps out which would result in a no-grade, so I will probably be sending it in next week. So I suppose in about 4-5 months I will be able to post the end result!

Thanks for the replies. grin.gif

Gold's so soft you have to discount the chatter to a large extent. Concentrate on the rubs. Focus on the hairline and crown. The Eagle is shielded to a greater degree.

IMGP3249_edited.jpg

IMGP3250_edited.jpg

I don't see anything obvious from the photos that would suggest this coin would be bagged. Also for later common dates they are usually a little tighter in grading so I would guess this one would go AU-55/58. Of course it's difficult to grade gold like this with a simple scan.