• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Inventories

4 posts in this topic

Am I dreaming, or is there a major downward trend on inventories by some large Coin Dealers? B&M and Heritage are way down in their inventories. Heritage, I know, has been sending out desperate pleas for auction material (asking me, even after telling them I wasn't interested in selling anything). Even David Lawrence has diminished inventory in several Key Type denominations (Flying Eagle Cents, 3-Cent Ag, Shield Nickels, SL Anything!).

Is the the signal of another major market move? Not many collectors seem to be selling uncirculated coins at the rate of several months ago. BTW, I bid over sheet on several items in the Long Beach Sale(s) and did not win a single coin (very unusual for me). Opinions?

Heritage just had a show, so their new inventory won't update until middle of the week. B&M are slimming their inventory in anticipation of the big move.

TRUTH

Not many collectors seem to be selling uncirculated coins at the rate of several months ago. BTW, I bid over sheet on several items in the Long Beach Sale(s) and did not win a single coin (very unusual for me). Opinions?

Why should I sell? These big dealers keep telling me that the market is on fire and its only going higher, yet they want me to sell. If I believe them, then I'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person to sell. If I don't believe them, then I'm selling to a hypester (who usually aren't trustworthy).

I also was going after a few coins in the auctions. I didn't win anything either. I'll usually win at least one coin. On a few lots I put in bids that should have won. Sad thing is that there were a couple of lots I put in strong bids and they didn't meet the reserve. I think some people are having unrealistic expectations.

In response, I do not believe that I would put material into an auction with a Reserve over Bid, unless it was very undergraded, toned or unusual material. The material that I bid on did not seem out of line on grade, just decent for grade. I bid 20% over sheet on a Better Date, MS64 Peace dollar (not counting the 15% commission fees) and still did not get the coin. It was a nice-for-the-grade dollar but not a MS65 (IMHO).

Maybe the market really is going to make a move. I have not sold anything but some dup. Moderns and dup. Peace Dollars, in three years.