• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

basically beginnners questions........

13 posts in this topic

ok, i'm NEW at this, i have some really neat looking coins, old and new.....i was wondering what the best ways are to find out about the history of certain coins, or to find their values......any websites? or would it just be easier taking them to someone?

It depends on the coins. Try Coin Facts to get a little history on the coins.

NGC has written a bunch of articles on the history of coins/series, but for some reason they don't advertise them. They are buried/hidden on this site.

If you want values, then try looking in the online price guides, but be aware that they are usually inflated in value on these.

PCGS is Professional Coin Grading Service, established in 1986 as a company which gives an unbiased opinion, for a fee, as to the grade and authenticity of a coin, thereby establishing a value. # means the associated number of the coin in the data base.

TRUTH

PCGS is Professional Coin Grading Service, established in 1986 as a company which gives an unbiased opinion, for a fee, as to the grade and authenticity of a coin, thereby establishing a value. # means the associated number of the coin in the data base.

PCGS number, I assume, can refer to more than one thing.

1) The number they assigned that date/mint: Series 32, Coin 17.

2) The slab certificate number: 123456789 (which is the number listed in their database).

If you go to your local library you will be able to borrow what is commonly called the Red Book and it will have a vast amount of basic information in it regarding history, designers, mintages, prices, etc... that someone new to the hobby/industry will find useful. You can also get this book at most larger book chains. Good luck! smile.gif

Here is link where you can purchase The Red Book. I agree with others that it is probably the single most comprehensive guide book for US coins, in general.

Redbook

Hope this helps,

Andy laugh.gif

Welcome to the board Zage and welcome to the wonderful world of coin collecting! Hope to see you around here and remeber not to be afraid to ask any question. That is why we are here! CHRIS