• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade this 1921 Morgan dollar

9 posts in this topic

I am torn on this one.

This was tossed in with a roll of common date Morgans I got at a pinch over spot price a while back. I seperated this one out due to its higher grade.

I would like to call it AU55 or AU58

The fields show no wear at all, but the high relief areas have some scratches that dont look like bag marks. I would say its MS/UNC but the scratches on Liberty's cheek leave me wondering. The detail is beyond EF...but then there is that nasty contact mark on the reverse...looks like a gash in the eagles chest.

What would you grade it?

Is it MS?

I have slabbed Morgans with similar scratches that are graded MS63.

The fields on this coin look just as clean as those on some of my MS64 Morgans.

The deep contact marks kill the eye appeal which brings the grade down in my opinion...but it still appears either uncirculated or very close to it. Although the photos dont illustrate it well, there is definitely a good percentage of luster remaining. In hand, the coin (minus the contact marks) is fairly appealing and very white.

Thanks for your input...

MR.JPG

AU-50 for me, only because I don't trust those dark spots. They could be either left over from a cleaning, or represent corroded areas. Also, unless it's just the image, this coin is too pasty-white for me.

James

My take based on other low cost coins I experimented with is this one had very dark toning on the upper right obverse and almost black in the brown hair area. I'd guess-speculate a coin marketeer dipped it multiple times to try to get off the black tone which can occur due to uneven silver-copper mix in the blank. A rub with a toothbrush would get it down to the brown you see now in the letters/hair, but the luster is severly impaired---so I'll go AU now too, the exact number is really acedemic value-wise.

Thanks for all the replies.

I think the verdict is AU...I am thinking 53 or 55.

Interesting point about the tone and the possibility of this coin being dipped in the past. A good inspection tells me that is certainly possible. Coin doesnt look cleaned to me, and it is starting to develop some mild golden brown tone on the reverse under the word 'Dollar'.

As stated, the grade becomes somewhat academic for this coin since the market value is essentially the same until well into a MS grade...I am just using these types of coins to hone my grading skills. Expecting another batch of melt value Morgans in another day or so....perhaps I will have another one to post this week!