• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing auction

3 posts in this topic

My wife and I went to an antique auction this evening and they actually had some coins. Couple seated liberty dimes(1841 & 1872), a Barber half(1900-S), and a 1878-CC Morgan plus a couple buffelos. Grades ranged from weak G to VG. The dimes went pretty high for $22 & $25. The half went for $32 and the Morgan went for a rediculous $275 with several people bidding. I could not beleive my ears and eyes. 893whatthe.gif Its condition was Good and that's generous. My wife kept elbowing me because I was mumbling out loud things like "stupid", "that's rediculous" "stop already" "max 75 bucks". The guy in front of us stopped bidding at $125. Well, I didn't get thrown out but, I sure felt bad for the guy that bought it. After the auction I met the 'winner' but, didn't have the heart to tell him because he was so happy. He stopped me to ask if I was a collector or dealer (someone must have told him about my ranting). I did invite him to the local club and said that the club auctions were really good and he could also learn a lot there.

That was about all I could say

I knew a dealer that used to consign coins to estate auctions. He'd get $25+ for a beat up Morgan or a common date silver proof set (pre-1965). People who attend these things have no idea about the value of the coins. They're old and silver and must be rare! foreheadslap.gif