• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Earliest Date of a MS/PF 70 grade ???

31 posts in this topic

Not sure, but for a proof I'd suspect it is a late date modern silver. Probably a 1960. However a 1956 would not surprise me.

For MS, it'd have to be a modern commemorative, so 1983 would be my guess.

There are no non-modern coins that have graded 70.

The only coins to grade MS70 have been special issue coins (modern commems, SAE, SMS, etc).

The only coins to grade PF70 have been modern proofs (1950-date) and I'm not sure when the first one was.

Hi Ronday. Yes, MS-69 RB. It is known to copper collectors as THE COIN. I believe the EAC grade is something like MS-67 at least. So I would guess that if a coin minted in 1793 can grade MS-69, then there's a good chance that somewhere out there, there's one dated fifty years later that could grade 70, but has just never been certified.

But that's just a guess!! It's fun to speculate....

James

Hi Ronday. Yes, MS-69 RB. It is known to copper collectors as THE COIN. I believe the EAC grade is something like MS-67 at least. So I would guess that if a coin minted in 1793 can grade MS-69, then there's a good chance that somewhere out there, there's one dated fifty years later that could grade 70, but has just never been certified.

But that's just a guess!! It's fun to speculate....

James

James,you wouldn't happen to have a link to a picture or write up on THE COIN? You've aroused my curiosity.

Hayden

If you get to Hartford Connecticut, visit the Connecticut State Library and take a look at the Michelson Collection on display. Some of the coins – mostly 1912–1921 – were supplied by the Curator the Philadelphia Mint cabinet, T. Louis Comparette. He selected many of the coins from the annual Assay Commission pyx coins. Others were first strikes from new dies and taken directly from the presses before they could touch other coins. There might be a MS-70 or so in there.

I would also like to see that chain cent in MS69? Does anyone have any pictures?

How about this....post your highest grade/earliest date coin?? With all the big time collectors on here, I think most of us would be amazed at some of the gorgeous oldies that have survived. Maybe NGC could give away a free grading for the winner. We could all vote on it.

Truth be told, we'd all be winners by seeing the beauties posted here for our enjoyment.

What do ya'll think??

I went through the population reports for all NGC MS coins and the earliest NGC graded coin to receive MS 70 is 1983 OLYMPICS.

http://www.collectors-society.com/registry/ngc/CensusDetail.aspx?PrintOrder=13314&IDCoins=19605

There were however some MS69 * in the Mid 1800's.[/b]

DIMES - SEATED LIBERTY, ARROWS 1853

http://www.collectors-society.com/registry/ngc/CensusDetail.aspx?PrintOrder=5109&IDCoins=14603

1938 D BOONE

http://www.collectors-society.com/registry/ngc/CensusDetail.aspx?PrintOrder=13126&IDCoins=19275

And some MS69 in the Early 1800's

1808/7 HALF DOLLARS - CAPPED BUST, LETTERED EDGE

http://www.collectors-society.com/registry/ngc/CensusDetail.aspx?PrintOrder=7616&IDCoins=817440

1851 GOLD DOLLARS - TYPE 1

http://www.collectors-society.com/registry/ngc/CensusDetail.aspx?PrintOrder=10796&IDCoins=17513

1864 GOLD DOLLARS - TYPE 3

http://www.collectors-society.com/registry/ngc/CensusDetail.aspx?PrintOrder=10843&IDCoins=17563

Robbie welcome to the boards and thanks for the links. You have provided us with helpful numismatic research 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

As stated previously, it would be great if we had some pictures of these coins.

Well let me do what I can.....I don't own any of these coins....God I wish cloud9.gif

but I did some seraching of Heritage archives.....and these were the low grade circulated common coins I found 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

392006516a.jpg

388097065a.jpg

392006522a.jpg

400001922a.jpg

394154016a.jpg

368001676a.jpg

352034024a.jpg

360050074a.jpg

296202054o.jpg

382157025a.jpg

This Merc is PCGS MS69...no full slab picture available

256006059o.jpg

392006067a.jpg

392006559a.jpg

402087001a.jpg

382161023a.jpg

376123009a.jpg

318018001a.jpg

318018001o.jpg

318028002a.jpg

360050051a.jpg

360050051o.jpg

366017030a.jpg

360050084a.jpg

360050048a.jpg

360050049a.jpg

360050052a.jpg

360001238a.jpg

I couldn't find any non Moderns in MS70 or PR70 in their archives.

Also on Coin facts the image they use to represent the 1793 Chain cent sure looks clean...wouldn't be suprised if this is the MS69BN example we have been speaking of............ 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Large_Cent_1793_Wreath_Obv.jpgLarge_Cent_1793_Wreath_Rev.jpg

What is the story of those Barber's pedigreed Hugon. Was this a major collection? Man I would have loved to see all those beauties together.

link

What is the story of those Barber's pedigreed Hugon. Was this a major collection? Man I would have loved to see all those beauties together.

Link

I don't believe he needs the link two times Lou poke2.gif

stooges.gif

Link

I don't believe he needs the link two times Lou poke2.gif

stooges.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gifLink Envy

Nice photos Shane! I would argue that some of those Saints may be the victims of gradeflation, though certainly the Ex-HR is in a class by itself. Akers speculated that there were likely a number of MS-67 08 NMs, but that was before the Wells Fargo hoard was brought to market. As for the normal HRs, I will quote Akers:

"Gems are more scarce but are still available quote regularly. There are a fair number of spectacular, nearly perfect examples of this issue in existence so it is not possible to pick out one, or even several, and distinguish them as the 'finest known.'"

Also on Coin facts the image they use to represent the 1793 Chain cent sure looks clean...wouldn't be suprised if this is the MS69BN example we have been speaking of............ 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Large_Cent_1793_Wreath_Obv.jpgLarge_Cent_1793_Wreath_Rev.jpg

That is an incredible coin but it's not the chain cent but the wreath cent. Right?

Thanks for your time in linking the photos, Shane. I think that you're on JamesEarlyUS's heals as the most educational poster. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I do believe, however, that most of the coins were, as stated, subjected to gradeflation. Especially if they were conserved, I feel that some of the toning would have eaten into the coin's surface which would severly reduce the grade. Excellent examples, no doubt, but probably half shown are very unrealistic grades.

Great thread!!

I do believe, however, that most of the coins were, as stated, subjected to gradeflation.

One of these early cents was at the Long Beach show this past year. I forget if it was an MS68 or MS69. Either way, the grade seemed very generous.