• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL: What do you think happened to the lost 1913 Liberty nickel?

What do you believe happened to the lost 1913 Liberty nickel?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. What do you believe happened to the lost 1913 Liberty nickel?

9 posts in this topic

What do you think happened to the lost 1913 Liberty nickel? And I would like you to state why you feel the way you do about what happened to it.

I was just thinking of posting this myself.

My theory: Someone, somewhere has it in their "Black Box/Black Cabinet" of altered and counterfeit items and believes or has had it returned as a non-authentic item and so it has been that way since. They don't feel they could sell it because they believe it is a non-authentic coin, but one is... I don't know who owns it or where it is, but that's my guess... someone's stash of less-than-legal items.

I think it is in a collection somewhere. Possibly sitting next to a 1933 St. Gaudens. Possibly sitting next to an AU 1883 NC V nickel. However, I would guess the owner of the coin knows what it is and for numerous reasons is keeping it to himself.

Tell the world you have the coin and thanks to its murky ownership status, 50 people come out of the woods claiming ownership to the coin and they all have fancy stories about it and you spend a bunch of money defending yourself against these blood sucking thieves.

Either that, or the owner who knew what it was is dead and whoever got his collection doesn't know the value of it and is just sitting on it with no desire or time to look thru the collection.

Just wondering if uncle sam still cares about the coin?

I'm sure Greg is right, 50 people would come after you if you said you had it. A million bucks might cover the legal bills.

Larry

I'm wearing in around my neck. It's not in too bad of shape except for now it's a holey coin. LM might want it for his holey vest. mdwoods

I talked to Eric Newman one time about this coin. It did exsist according to him. He'd know....he owned all five at one time.

I don't know if anyone remembers this but there were also some trial Buffalo nickels in copper that were with the famous V nickels at one time. I believe the original owner (possibly the creator!) brought these all to an ANA show in 1919 or 1920 together. I wonder what happened to those Buffs....

jom