• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shocking News About Mark Feld

20 posts in this topic

Yep, it's true... he's a really nice guy. laugh.gif

I just wanted to take a second and publicly thank Mark Feld of Pinnacle Rarities for his time today. Mark is a forum member here (user ID MarkFeld) and across the street (coinguy1). Mark was nice enough to spend quite a bit of time with me at the Long Beach show looking over about 25 of my coins and giving me his opinions. Basically I wanted to know if he thought some would upgrade. He was nice enough to look at each coin and tell me why he thought it wouldn't upgrade, his reasoning for thinking it may have a shot at upgrading, and why he thinks it should upgrade. Lots of information to take in. Lots of things I didn't think about or care about.

It's rather interesting what occurred. Many of the coins I have had for years and looked at hundreds of times, but he picked them up and noticed very tiny and (to me) meaningless things that affected the grade. Little things like TINY carbon spots that are somewhat hidden in the toning or that the luster on the head of one of the people on the coin wasn't strong enough or a TINY little spot that he said might be PVC - and I am talking TINY. Basically stuff that didn't bother me, but did him. He said the gold toning on one coin was too deep into the coin (i.e. it had eaten into the metal). He didn't like this. To me the coin was toned nicely. That might make sense as to why it was graded 1+ points too low (in my opinion).

Very interesting and informative to listen to him.

Not only did he take the time to look at my coins, but he also offered to do something very nice for me.

It's not like I am a big Pinnacle Rarities customer. I've made one purchase from them and it was a relatively small purchase. He took the time because he was a nice guy.

And best of all, he gave me bit of good or at least encouraging news on several of my coins. smile.gif Off to NGC they go.

I don't post much but this is one thread I just had to jump in. Mark is one you can really trust. No BS just his honest opinion and he is right on target. smile.gif

Mark is the real deal. He's always had time to answer my questions, and is genuinely interested in the hobby and the collector. Greg, it absolutely amazes me what someone who has looked at thousands of coins like Mark and some of the current graders see when they look at a coin. Anyone who has ever complained about a grade given should spend a few days in a grading seminar with some of these guys. It is a humbling experience. They are very skilled.

While I do not know Mark personally, he has been a consistent contributor towards helping educate collectors on the PCGS Forum boards. I always read what he writes and without exception, learn something or at least question my own opinions.

He has a certain talent for education. Able to communicate very effectively without coming across as a know-it-all.

When I think of all the Dealers that I have run across over the years that have no communication ability or desire to educate the novice, Mark deserves a big Thank You for representing the Dealer's side well.

Anyone who has ever complained about a grade given should spend a few days in a grading seminar with some of these guys. It is a humbling experience. They are very skilled.

Mark and I talked about the grading seminar. While I have been in the hobby for 17+ years, I still learn new things all the time. Just listening to Mark make some points about grading today was really eye opening.

Are all the grading seminars held in Colorado Springs?

I thought so too. Is that censor for me or DH? wink.gif

It's for ohbaby. That's OK. Mark Feld will see the time stamps on the threads and know I was the original praiser. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I figured it was for ohbaby. I couldn`t resist the temptation to take a jab at the censor comment. smile.gif Only a comment intended in jest.

I never met Mark Feld but PM`ed him a few times. I have a good impression of him in the few PM`s we exchanged.

I really hate to pile on like this, but, I agree. Mark is a very good guy in the hobby/industry. I have exchanged many messages with him, have bought coins from Pinnacle and have stopped by and chatted at shows and it is always worth the effort and time.

For those of you who do not yet know Mark Feld, he is one that you want on your side.

I'm with Tom, like Mark needs more praising, but I find, guys like Mark are what make this hobby as interesting as it is. -Not meaning to duplicate my response from across the street, but you remove the human factor from the Coin Collecting equasion and it would be a boring hobby, no doubt.

I too have spent time with Mark at shows. The thing that amazes me the most is his absolute passion for coins. After all of the coins he has graded, bought, sold, and studied, he still just loves coins. His appreciation of beautiful coins is far beyond anything I'm capable of at this time, if ever.

Andy laugh.gif

Yeah, I always knew he was a rat $#@&$#!!!...oops....oh, a positive post smile.gif

I don't know Mark personally but from the message boards, I had a feeling he was a class act.

-Dave

not much more can be said.

He is one of the good guys!

I will be sure to make a point to see him at any Baltimore show I attend in the future. Great just to talk with!

I'd like to thank Greg for taking the time and effort to post what he did. I also want to thank all of the rest of you for your kind words. It means a great deal to me.

And, since I was given permission, in advance, I will now spill the beans about Greg - he really is a nice guy, too.....really and truly. Personable, is a word, that I think, fits him perfectly...really. And, as I already told him, I felt that way BEFORE he started this thread. smile.gif

Thanks again, to each of you.