• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Long Beach report- JamminJ and Gmarguli ran away from me.

14 posts in this topic

Wednesday.

Very active for me. I brought a small box of about 12 slabbed commems. Sold 8 high ticket coins in 30 minutes at my asking price. Sold the rest in a couple of hours. Not real busy for the most part. No coins for me except for a bit of better mexican coins and currency. I didn't spend alot, but what I did spend was on high quality. Talked to a few dealers, most were happy with the market. Many dealers planned to go on vacation as usual. I talked with Idahogal at the ANACS booth about her move to Texas from Idaho. She seemed optimistic.

Thursday

Not particularly active. Lots of the same generic coins. I helped a coin buddy look for coins. He bought a nice Lib 5C in PCGS66. I got a free sample ICG slab from Cameron. I bumped into JamminJ and Gmarguli. I told them I needed to put money in the parking meter and would be right back in 5 minutes. 6 minutes later, they were gone. frown.gif

Overall show grade B-

TRUTH

I bumped into JamminJ and Gmarguli. I told them I needed to put money in the parking meter and would be right back in 5 minutes. 6 minutes later, they were gone.

Maybe they thought that you had cooties?

confused-smiley-013.gif

gossip.gif

grin.gif

Does an "Overall show grade B-" qualify for Doom & Gloom? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The show seemed slow on Thursday. Not a lot of people, most tables were not crowded, and dealers didn't seem too thrilled with the way the day was going. Not a bad show, but just slower than they'd have liked. Heard several dealers (US & Foreign) mention that they couldn't buy anything at the auctions as prices were very strong.

I didn't buy anything for myself. A couple of rare foreign coins tempted me, but too much $$$ to pull the trigger. Picked up a handful of coins in the auctions for resale.

I bumped into JamminJ and Gmarguli. I told them I needed to put money in the parking meter and would be right back in 5 minutes. 6 minutes later, they were gone. frown.gif

Be more punctual next time. 6 minutes is not 5 minutes. sumo.gif

Actually, we waited around for you, but you never came back. We decided to make a quick selling trip to a dealer table and it ended up taking about 10 minutes.

Being that this is my first post in 2 months I'll make it quick. The show sucked. The material in the Hertiage auction sucked. The bourse sucked. Need I say more?

I also find it exceedingly hard to believe anyone paid premiums at that worthless auction. The torrential rain of garbage that these Heritage auctions offer continue at a steady pace it though.

jom

PS: The lunch with Braddick, Cameron, Greg, Jammin', Elcontador and Tom Killian was great as usual...especially since Jammin' paid for it. spiteful.gif

Being that this is my first post in 2 months I'll make it quick. The show sucked. The material in the Hertiage auction sucked. The bourse sucked. Need I say more?

I also find it exceedingly hard to believe anyone paid premiums at that worthless auction. The torrential rain of garbage that these Heritage auctions offer continue at a steady pace it though.

Truth worthy gloom, right here!

I told them I needed to put money in the parking meter and would be right back in 5 minutes. 6 minutes later, they were gone.

Pay the $8 for parking and you wouldn't have these troubles. poke2.gif

I enjoyed the show but I was buying mostly just for personal stuff (filling a Library of Coins type album with neat items).

Bought a holed 1802 FN12 Bust dollar. No problems such as cleaning or rim dings or other issues outside of that pesky hole, of course. Pleasant medium gray color.

Set me back $425.

Next up was a neat GD06 (Cameron confirmed the grade at lunch) 1805 Bust quarter. I like the looks of it although some would say it was a bit dark. Paid $190. so not too shabby.

I then picked up and overpaid, knowingly, for a 1872 type two Seated dollar. These usually come cleaned so finding one that wasn't was neat. The 2X2 stated XF but it's really a VF30ish or so. Way overpaid at $350. but wanted it and the Dealer, who I know and thought would cut me some slack, was firm.

Bought some toners to sell over the summer.

I did note, some of the real interesting monster toners sat displayed in Dealers cases with Not For Sale signs next to them.

NGC PR69 UltraCam STAR commemoratives and richly toned American silver Eagles and such. Beautiful, but not for sale?

What's that all about?

I liked the show and it's always a treat talking coins with other board members. I enjoy the enthusiasm and passion others share for this great hobby of ours.

It was also fun to catch up on some gossip regarding the PCGS forums.

I almost felt like I belonged under a hair dryer, but the conversation quickly switched back to coins.

One collector at the lunch showed me a PCGS GD06 1795 Flowing Hair dollar and I found myself secretly breaking one of the Ten Commandments as I coveted that beauty! I own one raw already but there's always room for two cool coins in our collections- even if they're the same coin, right?

All in all a good day. I rate it a B+. It would have been closer to an A had TRUTH showed up for lunch (yes TRUTH, we did wait at the information center for you...). Ok, maybe his appearance would have only garnered an overall rating of A-, but still...

thumbsup2.gif

Next up was a neat GD06 (Cameron confirmed the grade at lunch) 1805 Bust quarter. I like the looks of it although some would say it was a bit dark. Paid $190. so not too shabby.

The quarter was lovely. thumbsup2.gif

That sounds like an exceptional deal! Goose3 might be hounding you for it, though. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I then picked up and overpaid, knowingly, for a 1872 type two Seated dollar.

What is a type two seated dollar? [with motto?]

Yes.

Yes.

Ok - just had never heard it phrased that way.

Yes.

Ok - just had never heard it phrased that way.

That's the cut of my jib.