• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Follow the lead picture post.
9 9

10,663 posts in this topic

Boiler78, very pretty coin!

Elbesaar, I like yours to, especally the 2nd one. Question... the 2nd looks like a Full Red. Are both graded? The IHC I had body bagged recently fell into 2 groups, the ones I suspected were likely cleaned, all looked like the first example. The 2 I thought were genuine (and got so angry about) look very much the same as your second 1898.

Either way, I love these coins in high grade!

Boiler, what is that? I thought I was familiar with most US issues but I don't know what that dollar is.
I can provide a quick answer. It's a US pattern so it was never issued by the US government. Patterns are design studies to test out designs before issue. This particular one is Barber's last variation of this type as he attempted designs for the then new dollar. It is cataloged as J-1554 in Hewitt Judd's book on patterns. More information is available on USPatterns.com.

Although patterns are not coins in that they were never monetized and issued as legal tender, many people consider them very beautiful and collectible in their own right. There are many types and varieties.

sorry but I don't collect Morgans...too large and I work on several smaller sets at once, but that Pattern coin from Boiler--I just had to say something... (worship)