• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How about a little world gold

21 posts in this topic

That's a fine looking coin. I wonder if Napoleon's little beard thing was considered fashionable back then?

I've never seen one of those so I have no idea as to its size, about how big is it?

-JamminJ

It is about 1'' in diameter and is.4667 oz of .900 gold. It has a lettered edge and has a mintage of 39,000. I grade it a MS-64 and it is a hard coin to find this nice.

John

Not one of my favorites - but I do love the reverse design. The French did mint some very nice gold coins. It's not MS - but it did grade out at AU55. I'm hoping to eventually get the various denominations of the same design.

1818%2040%20franc%20obv.jpg

1818%2040%20franc%20rev.jpg

WHOA! That Bob Marley coin is cool! His portrait reminds me of Medusa, don't you think?

As for the St. George killing the dragon, well, let's just say that I am envious of the UK for that design, I only wish it were ours!

As for the St. George killing the dragon, well, let's just say that I am envious of the UK for that design, I only wish it were ours!

That is an awsome design. Too bad the obverse features the fugly queen.

I wish NGC would holder these coins with the reverse up so we didn't have to look at the queen, but they said no. frown.gif

WHOA! That Bob Marley coin is cool! His portrait reminds me of Medusa, don't you think?

Yes, it does. Dread locks don't show well on coins, I guess. cool.gif

Dread locks. Dread snakes. grin.gif

I wish NGC would holder these coins with the reverse up so we didn't have to look at the queen, but they said no. frown.gif

I know what you mean. frown.gif

slab-5.jpg

slab-23.jpg

Come on now, Gregory, 'fess up. We all know that deep down inside, you really and truly want to shag the queen. (p.s. I said the queen, not a queen.) grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

It seems bogus that PCGS will not slab the reverse side out. I have one of the 2-pound silver DNA proofs that I wanted encapsulated. I was planning on sending it to PCGS and have them holder it reverse side out, but now, I guess not.

Will NGC holder a coin either way?

I don't know which services will slab them reverse up. frown.gif

Seems kind of dumb not to slab them reverse up. They will do this for the state quarters because the obverse design is all the same, but not for world coins where the obverse is all the same.

EZ_E,

Either my PM is not working or I just sent you multiple responses. My apologies if I did. Here's the response to your inquiry:

The 1995 Jamaica Bob Marley issue is a 50th year commemorative of his birth anniversary. It was minted by the British Royal Mint for the Bank of Jamaica and came out in two forms:

a) Crown sized sterling silver denominated at $50 (mintage of 30,000)

b) Half ounce pure gold denominated at $100 (mintage 2,000)

The catalog price for the silver is around $45 and the gold is around $330. The silver shows up on eBay every now and then and usually sells around $70 to $100. The gold seldom shows up on eBay and when it does, sells at or over catalog. I got lucky with mine over a year ago at Steinbergs who listed two coins (one with box and cert for $295 and 1 without for $275). When I inquired, they had just got it back from submission to NGC and 1 came back PF69 and the other PF70. They gave me the PF70 for $295 with the box and cert. After I got the coin, I inquired about the PF69 to see if I could still get it, too but it was already sold at $310 (as it just got listed under that price in their new catalog). I don't know of any other legal tender coins of Bob Marley but I have seen medals and silver rounds. Jamaica also issued stamps with Bob Marley.

Current silver listing on eBay

Trozau,

Well, I did get your PM five times, but that's alright. It made me feel special to receive so many. smile.gif Thanks for the link for the silver-Marley, too. Definitely have to pick one up. Now, we need a special issue featuring some choice ganja! smirk.gif

My favorites - the only two Japanese ¥100,000 coins ever minted, and the only coins in my collection that were sl##bed across the street:

My 1986 MS68 Y#92, commemorating the 60th year of the reign of the late Emperor Hirohito (also issued in 1987) - 20g 1.000 gold, AGW .6430 oz:

ichiman-o.jpgichiman-r.jpg

and my 1990 PR69DCAM Y#105, commemorating the enthronement of current Emperor Akihito - 30g 1.000 gold, AGW .9646 oz:

aki-o.jpgaki-r.jpg

The true color of the first one is closer to that of the second picture. The orange hue is merely a testament to my poor photographic skills. foreheadslap.gif

I thought I would add some more of the 'classic' gold world coins from my collection.

This one is a 1882v 10 dinara from Serbia.

366549-1882%20serbia%2010%20din%20%20obv.jpg366550-1882%20serbia%2010%20din%20rev.jpg

And this one is a 1925 20 dinara from Yugoslavia. it has a mintage of only 1,000.

366531-1925%20yugo%2025%20din%20obv.jpg366533-1925%20yugo%2025%20din%20rev.jpg

John