• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seated half dollar thread! Post a pic or some info.

19 posts in this topic

Ursabear,

I have seen that 1867 proof in person, and it actually has slight golden toning (the red is a reflection). And it's no CAM, but then again it's in an old green label PCGS holder from when they weren't giving out the CAM and DCAM designations.

I know it's just a scan, BB, but your half did not look like it had any wear on it. Hmmm... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif The reverse also looks more PL. These late dates are known for the PL finish. Nice coin! smile.gif

TomB, it's riddled with hairlines from being handled - the prooflike stike makes every little defect stand out. That obverse picture is a little soft and "forgiving". grin.gif All together, it's a nice example of an AU58 looking better than your typical PU60 or 61. I'd hate to see a new but "baggy" version of this coin. blush.gif

A white coin in MS60 or PF60 would likely be tough on the eyes, I agree. I own an 1840 PCGS AU55 Seated half that is actually MS60 or MS61, however, there is a bad scratch in the obverse field and I truly believe it was "net" graded at PCGS. I realize they do not officially "net" grade but I could not find any wear, neither could a good friend of mine who is the immediate ex-President of the GSNA nor could a full-time extremely well known dealer who is known for his eye. The coin is actually quite attractive because it is fully prooflike and has deep navy and burnt purple toning throughout. That is what saves it for the eye appeal.

lazeroo, weren't you the one who purchased a copper seated half off of eBay? What ever became of that coin? What was the final outcome about the coin? Was it real, fake, pattern, other?

Here are images of an AU58, No Drapery, 1845-O/Horiz. O Half. NGC lists only this one coin in this Variety (see attached obverse image).

180174-1845-OHalf.jpg.bfe9bd9c61fee06c7cdfc274d8cbe377.jpg