• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help with Peace Dollar Grade

16 posts in this topic

I'm still having many issues distinguishing the difference between the higher grades of coins, so I'd appreciate the community's opinion on what this coin's grade is. Below you'll find both a scan - taken to highlight surface blemishes - and a photo - taken to highlight luster and the die break(s?). If you need higher-resolution images, I've got 'em.

Scan:

peace_22D_scan.jpg

Photo:

peace_22D_photo.jpg

This is a 22 D? I think thats what I am seeing... If so there is a big spread between MS64 and MS65

Yes, it's a 22 D (tiny mint marks on this series). What do you mean by "a big spread" between the two grades? As in a 65 is a much better coin than a 64, or as in the value is around 3-6x as high for the 65 than the 64?

in MS64 its $80.00

in MS65 its $450.00

Yeah, that's why I'm asking what people think the grade is. The dealer had it labeled as an MS-65 but sold it to me for an MS-64 price saying that unless it was slabbed, no one would probably pay the MS-65 price. But when I hand over a new inventory list to my insurance company in a few weeks, I'd like to know what to put down.

So, with one vote in the MS-64 pile and one vote in the MS-65, what do other people think?

The scan had me thinking high AU, but the photo looks like a 64. (I like the photo more. laugh.gif)

Hoot

The scan had me thinking high AU, but the photo looks like a 64. (I like the photo more. laugh.gif)

Hoot

I agree! The scan makes it look like floating waste in a toilet bowl. The photo looks MS65! yay.gif

Nice looking coin........I believe this coin has a shot at 65, if it were me, I would take a chance and send it in. I think your dealer is probably right with a coin that has a several hundred % difference in price between 64 and 65, he would've been hard pressed to get 65 money for an unslabbed coin.

JJ

It's a very nice coin, with a terrific strike (most '22 D coins are struck well). It's for sure a 64, but what may keep it from 65 is the mark on Miss Liberty's chin...can't tell from the images how prominent it is.

It's a very nice coin, with a terrific strike (most '22 D coins are struck well). It's for sure a 64, but what may keep it from 65 is the mark on Miss Liberty's chin...can't tell from the images how prominent it is.

It doesn't look deep, and it really only shows up at the right angle. But it is definitely there, and probably one of the most prominent on the obverse. tonofbricks.gif