• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anyone here actually send to NTC, NNC, CCGS, etc etc?

9 posts in this topic

I am wondering if anyone here evers submits to the new alphabet, those TPGs that seem to have erupted from nowhere. I am not interested in ANACS, ICG, or PCI--they have been around enough to have varying amounts of legitimacy, but this new wave of slabs--NTC, NNC, CCGS, and a bunch more that i can't even keep track of.

My question hinges on a certain assumption: since most serious collectors and investors seem not to touch those wiht a ten-foot pole, or they at least assume a 2 pt drop in grade, why would someone send their coins in unless they wanted to sell them to some unsuspecting novice?

Am I missing some possible reason?

If there is a good reason, please let me know and maybe I will not avoid any auction with those letters in it.

Sincerely,

hardin2413

I have sent exactly one coin to PCI, and that was a couple of years ago at the request of a customer. They correctly returned the coin (which was a Colonial) bodybagged as being counterfeit. It was actually a very good counterfeit, though the customer did not believe me, and wanted third-party confirmation of my opinion. I have never sent anything else off just to be encapsulated; all other coins I've sent off were for certification (NGC, PCGS, ANACS).

James

I also use PCI on coins/medals/token or whatnot that the other services won't handle.

I also send some problem coins to them as I find the prices on these is better than NET graded coins from ANACS.

I don't know why that is, but that's been my experience. I would speculate the buyers are those looking for cheap alternatives for their DANSCO albums.

I haven't sent any coins to NNC, but I have purchased a few. Honestly, the few I purchased were graded fairly and would have crossed to NGC/PCGS. I admit this is a very small sample size and may have more to do with the original buyer of the coins picking out only accurately graded coins, but it was rather surprising.

And no one should take the above as a reason to buy NNC coins sight-unseen, but rather just to not skip them if you see them in person.

There are two good reasons to submit to one of the alphabet graders:

1) Newcomer ignorance that there's a substantial qualitative difference between TPG's

2) Deliberate intent to deceive the buyer upon resell.

I'm more willing than most to purchase alphabet slabs, but that's because I collect VAMs and I know them well enough to grade the coin. I'm not buying for grade, necessarily. Even so, I've been burned by a couple "MS" coins that would bodybag from any of the top 4.

I bought a couple of proof NTC Franklins, and have had so much trouble getting rid of them that I finally cracked them out, and now they are quite nice. A dealer I visited in Daytona a couple of weeks ago had everything slabbed by NNC, and I wouldn't trust him at all. So my distrust of him naturally carries over to the large quantity of NNC slabs he had.

I would never submit to any of the off brand TPG companies. I also avoid dealers who display any of these holders. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I haven't sent any coins to NNC, but I have purchased a few. Honestly, the few I purchased were graded fairly and would have crossed to NGC/PCGS. I admit this is a very small sample size and may have more to do with the original buyer of the coins picking out only accurately graded coins, but it was rather surprising.

And no one should take the above as a reason to buy NNC coins sight-unseen, but rather just to not skip them if you see them in person.

I have had very nice results buying NNC slabbed Morgans, cracking them and sending them to PCGS, so far since last August:

11 total coins

8- came back same grade

1- came back 1 grade higher

2- came back 1 grade lower

All 11 were minimum ms64 coins.

One key point though, I SAW EVERY ONE OF THEM IN HAND BEFORE I PURCHASED THEM! Like MG said, i wouldn't buy one sight unseen. I have also seen quite a few that were overgraded, but i've also seen PCGS and NGC coins overgraded. I attribute most of the above results to luck. I use NNC grades as a guide only, and if i think it's close, i can usually get a nice coin for a DEEP discount from the top tier slabbed coins.

That's just my experience with NNC, i have actually gotten to specifically look for them at shows because most honest dealers discount the heck out of them because they are in NNC slabs. wink.gif

2 reasons I can think of:

a. Newcomers who don't know any better. In their minds, a TPG is a TPG (and PF/MS 70 is PF/MS 70), right? So why pay NGC $30 and risk not having the coin come back a 70 when you can pay another company (e.g. SGS) less and have it come back 70?

b. As mentioned above -- selling with the intent to deceive the buyer. To a novice, 70 is 70 -- who cares who graded it...

On that note, I even remember someone on ebay selling the chance for YOU to certify your own coins in an NGC-type holder. It looks like an NGC multi-coin holder only with nothing written on it. People who have bought in to this even have the gall to claim "certified PF-70"...