• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has Anyone Ever Seen a PROOF 1947-S Washington Quarter?

13 posts in this topic

Okay, so the coin isn't a proof. It's actually a business strike that looks like a proof. I first learned of this coin's existance at the NYC ANA last August and was lucky enough to have the then owner show the coin to me and allow me to study it. I've never seen a branch mint Washington from the '32-'64 era look like this coin. It more accurately has a look of an SMS coin, even replete with some cameo frosting on some of the devices. I went nuts when I saw it at the ANA and could not put it down. At the same time that I was looking at it, Greg Bingham came to the owner's table and he also asked about the coin. Luckily for me, I was first in line for the piece. The then owner said the coin was not for sale and placed a sticker on the reverse of the slab that stated "First Tom B" so that I would have first crack at the coin when it would become available. It became available earlier this month and I took about zero seconds to pull the trigger on the purchase even though the purchase price would make some people roll in laughter at me.

The coin has terrific mirrors and slightly cameo devices on the obverse. The reverse has similar mirrors and, stunningly, the same type of translucent blue toning/haze spots that proofs of the '36-'42 era have. I had always assumed that the blue toning/haze was from the cellophane that the coins might have been stored in, but, this coin was likely not stored the way that those proofs were stored. There is a small planchet flaw in the field near UNUM and another below the joint of the eagle's right wing. There are also prominent die polish lines in the fields of both sides and on the portrait. Overall, I have never seen a business strike Washington with these qualities to this level. The best part is that both sides match. The coin is completely, blasty white. Therefore, you know it must be special for me to buy it. I have no history on the coin prior to last summer.

The scan is in the attachment and only gives a hint of what the coin actually looks like. Has anyone else ever come across a similar Washington? I own a '36-D that has a semi-prooflike obverse but the reverse is satiny. I also know the whereabouts of a '43 Washington with a semi-prooflike obverse. Anyone else? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

176425-new-1.jpg.5c154e2dcd80162b9f4cd9808f1ca6db.jpg

Don't know much about washington's but that sure does appear to be a Proof coin at first glance! I would have guessed it to be a proof without reading your description above.

Looks very nice.

It's nice to be first shot. I am truly intrigued by the coin. Over the years, I have seen several, but not many(less than 10), S mint Washington quarters with a similar finish. This was before slabs, and it was usually in new rolls of BU quarters. But never have I seen these deep mirrors WITH slight cameo. Very nice indeed. Might I inquire as to the transaction price? Any provenance?

TRUTH

Stunning! I've seen a few as PL and even with more frost, but no business strike Washington with fields like that! "Mirrors" on business strikes are not so flat. It would seem this must have been prepared intentionally as a presentation piece or something.

I love the coin, but I don't understand it at all. Is it possible that it is a VERY early strike from new dies? The fields look exactly like my 40 proof. Perhaps it was a presentation piece. If not then, it certainly could be now. laugh.gif

That's a neat coin. In my experience, San Francisco mint coins seem to be more common in PL than the other mints, but they aren't extremely common. Finding a DPL is rare. I've seen a couple of DPL S-mint Mercury dimes from the 1940's.

The reverse has similar mirrors and, stunningly, the same type of translucent blue toning/haze spots that proofs of the '36-'42 era have. I had always assumed that the blue toning/haze was from the cellophane that the coins might have been stored in, but, this coin was likely not stored the way that those proofs were stored.

Could it be a SMS strike like you say it looks like? After all, 1947 was the year mint sets resumed (proofs in 1950). Could it be possible that this was a test striking for a SMS-type set or even a single struck proof (if I can intentionally misuse the term proof with single strike)? I don't know the history, but is it possible the mint anticipated making proofs that year?

On a side note, I've got a couple of 1954-D dimes that are DPL and also look like proofs. I picked them up a few months ago. I'm planning on dropping them off at Long Beach to NGC.

Also, wondercoin collects PL business strikes. He might have some info on these?

Tom,

I have a 46 S with prooflike qualities. It's covered with die polish lines, is reflective, and has very little to no luster. It is graded as an MS67 *. Why it got this grade is beyond me, actually, I find the coin rather unattractive. I'm thinking that NGC gave it the star before they decided to give a PL designation? This one kind of baffles me, but it reminds me of the topic of your post. Just thought I'd share it.

SSCN0626.JPG

SSCN0628.JPG

wow, awesome find there Tom, it looks like a proof from the pics, and the frosting is noticeable in the pics, especially on the motto. I know it has to be a special piece for you to buy a completely white coin. Can I get my name wrote on the back of the slab sticker now??? insane.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Speaking of unusual Washingtons, Check out my 36 D. It's not proof like, but was minted from a rusted die, giving it an "orange peel" effect. It caught my eye at the FUN show (I bought it raw). It's basically flawless except for the way it was minted. I've never seen one quite like it. NGC gave it an MS66.

SSCN0383.JPG

SSCN0385.JPG

Andy laugh.gif

Can I get my name wrote on the back of the slab sticker now???

We might be able to work something out on that one. 893whatthe.gif

Andy (Android), that '36-D looks superb with the orange peel effect. Did you pay approximately MS66 money for it when you bought it raw or were you able to buy it close to MS65 or so because the seller thought it might be grade limited? Obviously, it is truly none of my business so I completely understand if you tell me to forget it. smile.gif

Tom,

I paid strong 64 money for it. The seller couldn't quite figure out the grade for the coin because of the way it was minted, and he had no luck selling it. He had it marked as a 63++, so he's happy that he got the price he was asking. Fortunately for me, I know my Washingtons pretty well and saw the coin for what it was grade wise. One of the few good (raw) deals I've been able to find lately. I would have paid 64 money for it even if it was a 63 because it's so unusual.

Andy laugh.gif

HA! Prooflike is my middle name. That is if you were talking the Jefferson nickels. I have several, click on the attachment to see a frosted 64-D.

Leo

176729-M64DPL.jpg.75dd746130047d8a59d26f62528cf3a5.jpg