• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PCGS prices annoy me

15 posts in this topic

Well, yes and no. When a dealer prices his/her coins way above market, the quality must be far, far superior. If average coins are priced high, the dealer loses credibility with his audience and loses customers right off the bat. Many coins listed by DHRC have very low pops, but are mostly white. So prices must be fair. A washingto-carver half PCGS66 with a pop of 4 cannot be priced at $6000 and expect to sell quickly, if at all.

TRUTH

I have neither looked at his prices nor looked at his inventory, therefore, I am writing largely from ignorance. If, however, his prices are commensurate with his quality and his quality is outstanding then high prices would not only be justified but would be expected.

I've looked thru his DHRC inventory in the past. It seemed to be a ton of modern and generic junk. They were priced high. Not so high that he was screwing the buyers, but they sure weren't getting a deal. I remember looking at a couple of his moderns that I had the same coins. His prices were way higher than the eBay sales and what I sold them for. Having said that, I've seen his prices on some stuff that was really good.

If DHRC is selling premium quality material -- and this certainly may be the case -- they should improve their images. From DHRC images, coins appear to be routine material with high numbers for very high prices.

His BINs on eBay are much cheaper than the same coin/same grade offered on his price lists.

You would think it would be the other way around.

His BINs on eBay are much cheaper than the same coin/same grade offered on his price lists.

Yes, I noticed that about a year ago. I e-mailed their sales guy, asking about a modern commem I wanted. Saw it on the web for twice the E-Bay BIN. Asked if it was possible to get the E-Bay price. Still waiting for an answer.

Thanks for the clarification. And no, they don't bother me. Years ago, it would have. Now I look at it more from a capitalistic point of view. He is allowed to sell for whatever prices he wants. If he prices too high, then they will sit in inventory a lot longer and he will eventually pay the price for being over "market".

That's right - PCGS prices really annoy me! I mean, really, who in their right mind would spend $100 to have a coin graded? Or even $50? Who do they think they are to have those high grading prices?

What? DHRC prices? Oh............never mind! grin.gif

What? DHRC prices? Oh............never mind!

893Funny-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif

by the way, you have a very nice and very well delineated site!

Mike

I bought several Merc's in MS65/66/67FB from David Hall several years ago. His prices were'nt as high then but still above market. I must say though that they were superior quality pieces.

176623-1944PDime.jpg.93d0939e8a7d68e176e7b5ec540942a3.jpg