• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's your next set to collect?

11 posts in this topic

I've been working on proof Cam/DCam silver coins from '50 - '64 and have reached the point where I need to be patient on finding the right ones to upgrade. So, that being the case, since I like collecting I didn't know where to expend my energies while I waited. Thanks to Hoot I've started collecting high-grade war-time Jefferson nickels. The colors on the ones I've managed to get can really knock your socks off.

With what I've already acquired and what I'm waiting for in the mail, I'm well on my way to completing that set. Now, I need to think of what to do next. I have several sets that I've dabbled in but haven't been serious about. Decisions, decisions...

What is your Next set to collect?

"I've started collecting high-grade war-time Jefferson nickels. smile.gif Aren't they great!!!!!!! laugh.gif

Well, I'll probably never complete the sets I've started (well maybe the wartime Jeffs), but I was in the local coin shop the other day and was breathtaken by an original AU 1836 bust half, beautifully toned. To make a long story short, I ended up with another similar coin, an 1817. Now I'm all bothered about getting a copy of Overton or Peterson (or both) and learning all I can about bust half dollars. I particularly like the many aspects of the varieties and the die marriages. Also, in AU I can say certainly that there are some prize examples out there and they are pretty affordable.

laugh.gif Hoot

I have so many sets under construction and am enjoying working on them, but I admitedly do not collect at the level most folks here do. I could not possibly afford to be buying the level of coins being discussed here.

I get the impression if a coin is not MS-65 or better and toned to blue blazes it is considered unworthy. In this regard, I am out of my league.

I am currently working on the highest quality set of Morgan Dollars I can reasonably justify collecting. I have been very fortunate to gather a number of MS-63 or better coins, but a number of the coins in this collection are XF. I guess I will upgrade them as I can justify doing so.

As for what to collect next, Peace Dollars make a nice collectible set.

Oh, you guys meant coins. wink.gif Silly me.

I have three US "sets" going on right now that I need to complete before even considering starting anything new. I'm working on MS Mercs, Proof 3 Cent Nickels and MS Statehood Quarters. This last one won't be complete until 2008 at the earliest, so I have plenty of time to decide on my next US collecting venture.

I'm also working on a one (or more) per country world coin set and a world currency set. ooo.gif

Too much going on. Oh, well. It's fun and I enjoy it. Not sure the bank account does, though. smirk.gif

Frank...I know the feeling...

I've decided, just for fun, to start a set of Liberty nickels...just a circ album set of at least VF. However I am surprised, just in my short time looking around, how few really nice VF+ Liberties I've seen.

Frank and PJ - One of the most important things to remember is that everyone on this board has someone more wealthy than they are. laugh.gif Nice coins do not always have lofty prices, and many coin series are wonderful and inexpensive to collect in XF to AU condition (take bust halves for example). You should see my Merc album - all are in about AG3 to XF45 condition, but presented in a nice Intercept Shield album, they look great. It's important to have a community of collectors here and not a clique.

Keep up the collecting! Albums are a blast.

Hoot

2, 3, on to infinity-labmom laugh.gif - Don't slab those labs! You'll have to start looking for a brindled lab... that'll keep you at it for a while! smile.gif

Hoot

hoot:

I participate both here and at CU, and I read stuff I just don't know what to make of.

Shoot, I like my coins. I like 'em a lot. I enjoy filling out collections and if it means I have to buy an XF-40 instead of a "slabbed monster toned MS66 something something something", I will do it, because I may not have another shot at that coin for a while.

Shame on me for not "only buying coins in the grade in which I am collecting".

I've been working on a short set of Walkers - twenty coins from 41 to 47. I already have a couple of nice Walker sets, most XF-AU. I came across seven coins to form a new set all looking like MS-60 or better. The next set of coins I found which were on par with these were PCGS slabbed 64's, which I bought at a very reasonable price - two of them.

The next coins I found were NGC slabs in 63 and 64 - again pretty reasonably priced. I was also able to upgrade three of the original seven to NGC slabs with this buy.

Combining three different buys, I have completed 15 of the twenty, and I am going to get the remaining four of the first seven graded by NGC.

I came across three more of the coins, slabbed by NGC this morning. All MS-65 and five to ten times more costly than the average price I am in for so far on a per coin basis. I can afford these coins. I had the cash in my pocket this morning. They are still at the dealers and there they shall stay. While I could afford to buy them, I just couldn't justify it in my own mind. Shame on me.

Sorry, I had this overwhelming need to vent.

Hoot, you make a great point. The most money doesn't always equal the "best" collection. It helps, but isn't always the case. I have my primary Unc. type collection, and I have oodles of albums. Barber coins, buffalo nickels, merc's etc. Those album coins all range from ag-xf, for the most part. I do have one unc. basic type set album too.

I realize my albums aren't "worth" a whole heck of a lot, money wise, but if my kids enjoy them when they are old enough................priceless (I should call Mastercard with that one!!)

I don't know what my next "primary' set will be. I keep shuffling my main type set around. That seems to keep me busy enough. I almost dove into Commem's, but lost interest there rather quickly. We'll see. smile.gif