• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If the Eliasberg Collection of gold coins were to be sold today.....

15 posts in this topic

Hmmmm - great question! I'm gonna say the Brasher Doubloon. Why? Because 19th century date sets are going out of fashion [not dead, but not as frantic as 50 years ago] leading to the slight erosion of demand for many coins from that century. 1802 half dime, 1823/2 quarter, 1827 quarter, 1876CC twenty cent piece, 1838-O half - all have seen their glamour slip just a bit. So the 1822 $5 would come in second place to the Doubloon. The 1870-S is not a nice coin from what I hear....

I would say the 1870-S $3. It's unique. It's an EF40 coin that has damage from being used in a jewelry.

Then the Brasher Doubloon

The 1822 is a pop 3 coin.

Any of these coins should easily break the $1M barrier today.

I think the hype associated with the potential sale of the Brasher Doubloon would drive its price higher than the other pieces. It doesn't mean that most numismatists would pay the most for that piece, however, I think most entities that could afford to play in that arena would.

the brasher doubloon!!!!!!!!!! over one million grin.gif

who owns it currently???????

THEN THE 1822 flamed.gif easy

the 1870s three dollar gold being jeWElry and initals scratched in the fields i could not even guess maybe??

but for me the brasher would be a no brainer first choice definately over one million dollars

sincerely michael shy.gif

oh and lots/most of the elaisberg coins were ugly toned many have since been dipped

so FOR THE MOST PART cant be pedigreed as such by the grading services

Although the 1822 is a population 3, two are unavailable, so in terms of rarity, it is somewhat like the 1933 double eagle.

Is the owner of the non-Smithsonian 1822 half eagle publicly known?

I may be wrong, but I do not think that Eliasberg had a Brasher doubloon.

I think that the 1822 would bring the most. It is part of a collection of early US gold and silver coins that is truly outstanding. Some of you may have seen parts of it on display at some coin shows, at David Akers' table.

Julian,

You are right(again)!

In my mental fantasyland I got the Garrett and Eliasberg collection mixed up!

That must be one cool collection...what else is in it?

Everyone,

If the 1870-S was Gem BU, would that change your mind?

Seth

I just noticed in the Numismatic News Coin Market price guide it lists the 1870-S $3 as having sold by private sale in 1992 for $1.5 million.

If the 70-s were gem, it would be worth $10 million, but if the 1822 were gem it would also be worth $10 million, so I guess it would be a tie.

Harry Bass purchased the 70-s in 1982. He owned it when he passed away and it is now on exhibit at the ANA as part of the core collection that was retained by the Harry W. Bass, Jr. Foundation.

No one really knows when it may come up for auction, but I cannot imagine that it will be anytime soon.

As far as I am concerned the NN quote is erroneous.

It's kinda fun to watch the evolution of the marketing. It's hard to imagine one could get it more "right" than the dispersal of the SS Central America hoard. The 1933 $20 was of course very well handled as well. Now let's see what Stack's can come up with to promote the Ford collection!

I'll ask a question - an Eliasberg like gold collection shows up in your lap tomorrow - how would you sell it? No fair saying you would keep some of it smile.gif

If that happened, I might have my own auction.

If I did not have an auction, I would begin offerring it to the collectors that had expressed interest in specific items first, and then to the general collecting population. Dealers would be welcome, but there would not be very much, if any, discounts for a while.

It would be very exciting!!!!!