• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An NGC post about NGC slabs on the NGC forum.

28 posts in this topic

So, what are the neat things about NGC? My vote goes for their conservation product. This was sorely needed as qualified competition to ANACS no grade slab.

TRUTH

Truth, I agree, and think NGC's willingness to innovate is a real plus for the collector. I also think their conservation service will probably save countless coins from amateur ruination. Beyond attribution, I have some interest in holdering certain coins without a grade. There are many things which differentiate the major services, but most of the innovation seems to start here.

If I had to pick one thing it would be their holder. I think it is far and away the best holder used by any of the grading companies. I like the white insert, which I think makes the coins look richer. The latest gen. holder is also airtight.

John

I like their airtight slab. As a toning collector, I want to know that as little air as possible will touch the coin. It's actually one of the reasons I crossed a few coins over.

I like their airtight slab. As a toning collector, I want to know that as little air as possible will touch the coin. It's actually one of the reasons I crossed a few coins over.

I agree with Greg. I no longer worry about coins 'turning' in the holder. (I should point out though the best holder for this is SEGS. Even the insert paper is separated from the coin.)

I also like the fact that NGC doesn't beat their own drum when it comes to proclaiming their Services. I find their ads tasteful and well executed.

Overall, I've becoming a firm believer in NGC slowly over the last three years.

I agree with TDN -- me likee Dena!!! She's cool!!!

(I've been "accused" of being the same person as TDN, but I assure you that he and I are very different. For one, I am very handsome! laugh.gif )

On the matter of the NGC slabs, I must say that I hate them. I like the white-ness of the inner core, but I find them too thick for the smaller coins. And, the thickness (or texture) of the plastic causes a freaky distortion of the actual look of the coin both "in person" and via most imaging techniques.

Air-tite I like, but I also use Intercept Shield so it matters less to me.

IMO, a thin, white rubber core to ring around the coin would be nice. The slab itself could then be a harder plastic (less distortion of light) because the coin would be protected by the "ridge" formed by the white rubber ring.

To me, the best thing about NGC is their attribution service. Me likee that most! cloud9.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

EVP

• Administrator

I agree with Greg. I no longer worry about coins 'turning' in the holder. (I should point out though the best holder for this is SEGS. Even the insert paper is separated from the coin.)

I also like the fact that NGC doesn't beat their own drum when it comes to proclaiming their Services. I find their ads tasteful and well executed.

Any ads in particular that you've liked?

I REALLY liked that NCS ad that quoted me. 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I'd have to pick Dena, of course! Other than her, I'd have to say the best thing about NGC slabs is when they have accurately graded coins with great eye appeal in them! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Who is Dena is more the question. She is silky, lustrous dark hair, pretty smile, captivating eyes, gorgeous lips, a figure that will knock you off your socks. Ah, yes, Dena. MS70 in by book. 893applaud-thumb.gif

TRUTH

A Dena is a Stephanie but with even more beauty, intelligence and class!

I've seen Stephanie in person. Time to meet Dena then.

Has NGC ever thought about not only a airtight holder,but a vacauum inside of the holder? I think that would be better than just airtight,especially for copper. That would guarantee that all coins would not "turn" in the holder.

Sure Keith. Next time NGC comes to Texas for a show you can meet her. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Sure Keith. Next time NGC comes to Texas for a show you can meet her. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

One day, they will come to Texas, we have faith.

Nope. They already went to Texas and it was a bust. They lost money. They said they aren't going back.

Nope. They already went to Texas and it was a bust. They lost money. They said they aren't going back.

It's not money they're worried about. They're scared of Spooly.

Yes. Not so much the check-marked ads that show what NGC offers vs the "other" Services, but the full color inserts that show an oak desk with beautiful coins (some MintState Classic Commemoratives- a Reanoke, I believe-) and gold.

The ad is low key and gives a warm impression of "old-time" collecting and how NGC plays a role in making Coin Collecting the "Hobby of Kings".

I much prefer when a Company such as NGC simply sets a Standard and shares this via their ads rather than comparing themselves constantly (read: ICG & PCGS) with the competition.

Also the large photo of the 'before' and 'after' of the NCS Washington quarter (where it is split down the middle) is affective. In fact, it is what got me that day to register again with the $99. special so I could receive more information and coupons for this service.

I believe in the ad you are talking about, Pat, that they have some Roosevelt dimes pouring out of a pouch. Have you ever noticed that the dimes are not to scale with the other coins near them? The dimes are too large, they look like they are half as large as an NGC slab. Someone did not do a good job with sizing that part of the clip art.

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Sure Keith. Next time NGC comes to Texas for a show you can meet her.

It's not money they're worried about. They're scared of Spooly.

She used to go to the Baltimore show with NGC, perhaps she still does?

I believe in the ad you are talking about, Pat, that they have some Roosevelt dimes pouring out of a pouch. Have you ever noticed that the dimes are not to scale with the other coins near them? The dimes are too large, they look like they are half as large as an NGC slab. Someone did not do a good job with sizing that part of the clip art.

Tom, that's the one. I'll have to revisit that ad as I don't recall the oversized Roosevelts!

Things I like about NGC ? Well there are several - I like the look of their slabs and am especially fond of the airtight version. I like their grading - they seem to grade closer to the way I think coins should be graded more than any of the other services. And even though I have never submitted a single coin for grading - to any company - I like what I know of their customer service. And how would I know ? Well there are more than few members here who's opinions I respect - that's good enough for me.

But perhaps the thing I like most about NGC is that they actually care. They care about what they do - their business and their reputation. And they care about their customers and non-customers as well. They will take the time to answer a question or to voice their opinion. And most of all they will take the time to share their knowledge. All you have to do is ask.

My response would have looked a lot like GDJMSP's, so I'll just say ditto.

Regarding pulling a vaccuum inside slabs, another alternative is to seal the slab while it's surrounded by an atmosphere of inert gas. The slab interior remains at approximately one atmosphere, but the sealed coin is exposed only to gas molecules with which it won't react.

Beijim