• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fraud Warning

13 posts in this topic

I know it's uncouth to talk about eBay and such, but I thought I'd share a warning about some spam I received in the last 2 days. One was from "Paypal" purporting that I have an invalid credit card, so please input it here sort of thing. This was an obvious fake, so I just forwarded it to the Paypal fraud folks. But the one I got today was supposedly from eBay, and it said my credit card was declined and I needed to reenter the info on their site. This one was the most convincing I've seen, as it had links that sure looked like eBay, and all the normal disclosure from eBay (like, "we never ask you for credit card info" and such). So being that I just received an obvious fake from Paypal I forwarded the second one to eBay's fraud folks, and sure enough, they responded that it wasn't from them! The crooks are getting a lot smarter and slicker, so be careful! 893offtopic1.gifSorry!

I had exactly the same experience approximately six weeks ago with an Ebay email asking for my credit card number, updating my account. I disregarded but emailed Ebay help. They were very helpful and explained that this was unauthorized. I am a newcomer to the NCS forum but like this already. We are all here as a fraternity of collecors with common goals. Thanks for the heads up and the opportunity to respond. See you out there, be well!

[PICNIC = Party In Country Not In City!]I had exactly the same experience approximately six weeks ago with an Ebay email asking for my credit card number, updating my account. I disregarded but emailed Ebay help. They were very helpful and explained that this was unauthorized. I am a newcomer to the NCS forum but like this already. We are all here as a fraternity of collecors with common goals. Thanks for the heads up and the opportunity to respond. See you out there, be well!

I got the same thing, and decided to use the CC info I stole from Jeff... Oops, was I not suppose to let Jeff know?!?

Now I know how you get the funding for such wonderful early coins! 893whatthe.gif

Does your employer know of your penchant for fraud? sorry.gif

PS-I just got another one from "Paypalsecurity"

I got the "Paypal" email the other day also. Interestingly, it wasn't sent to my registered Paypal email address, but to my Hotmail address. Paypal doesn't have that address for me, so I wonder if whomever is sending these fraudulent emails are sending them to registered Paypal users or are they just shooting blindly into the dark, hoping they'll be able to ensnare some unwitting sucker into giving them their credit card information. The email I got not only wanted my credit card number and expiration date, my full name, my Paypal password, and even my ATM Pin number! The stated that the PIN request is for "bank verification". Riiiiigggghhhtttt! If whomever perpetrates these frauds are being investigated, why don't we ever hear or read of them getting caught?

This one was the most convincing I've seen, as it had links that sure looked like eBay, and all the normal disclosure from eBay (like, "we never ask you for credit card info" and such).

worth having a careful look at the link in these cases, if the email is html rather than text its likely the link is going to a different site indicated,