• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where do you find an estate sale/auction?

13 posts in this topic

They are advertised in local newspapers, especially in the smaller towns and less populated counties. In these smaller town you can also find flyers posted in prominent businesses around town that list any coins which might be for sale. That's how it is done in rural parts of the Midwest.

I keep hearing the phrase “I picked (this coin) up an estate auction…” How do you find out about these auctions?

Hays

If it says it on ebay.. more than likely they did not... more than likely they are crooks who get coins from older people or the unknowing for cheap... Ask James(EarlyUS) about that and his expierence, where he references Ms. Bee..

A follow-up to my earlier post...While I have found some nice coins at estate auctions, there have been no great rarities among them. I have seen people who put some old circulated coins away or perhaps have dabbled in purchasing things from the mint or special offers from Littleton and companies like that. I even purchased a 20th century type set that was originally sold through Sears. It came with the original flyer, bill and invoice. One might find a number of circulated Indian Head Cents, Barber coinage, Walking Liberties, Franklin Halves, Standing Liberty Quarters, Mercury dimes, Buffalo nickels, etc. These can be purchased as a group and might fill some slots in a coin album.

James from EarlyUS can enlighten us further on this topic.

Actually I wasn’t thinking of eBay, I’ve heard this phrase – or something like it – in about every pawn shop I’ve been in. Unfortunately these are virtually the only places I can buy coins – there isn’t a coin shop within 150 miles of where I live…SO I either find my coins at pawn shops or online. For me even common date coins are hard to find. Now, armed with your info I’ll beat those evil pawn shops to the coins!

Hays

I've reviewed many "coin collections" as a courtesy and have never found anything worth mentioning. Most are proof sets and just accumulated, circulated coins that held no real value. So, the odds are that an estate sale will present the same. Of course, there are always exceptions. Just don't go crazy on bidding if you can't review the coins first.

I've reviewed many "coin collections" as a courtesy and have never found anything worth mentioning. Most are proof sets and just accumulated, circulated coins that held no real value. So, the odds are that an estate sale will present the same. Of course, there are always exceptions. Just don't go crazy on bidding if you can't review the coins first.

I just did a free review for a man... He mentioned one day he had some morgans... so finally he pulled the coins out for me to look at and help him sell them.... He had some morgans! I was prepared for a few circ Morgans and some junk silver... I was SHOCKED! He had 9 CC Dollars ALL GSA but one which was an MS 64 1885CC, not to mention he had other things. Included were UNC Morgans, UNC Peace Dollars, Circ Morgans and Peace, some gold, and other things... All in all about $7,000 Retail worth of stuff.. Well a bit more now since silver is up from a few months ago. Even a few UNC rolls from the 60's All Silver... Ok thats not the normal but it happens. I am going to help the man move his coins soon as he is older. Be on the lookout for some sales on some coins.

A couple of years back, there was a 97 yr old guy who looked and acted 30 yrs younger. He could tear up a shuffle board match! He did have a circulated 1866 rays Shield nickel good. But that was about it. There was also a radiologist in his seventies had lots of proof sets from the early sixties. But, he did have some nice circulated Lincolns from the teens and twenties.

The collection you reviewed, Bruce, was definitely the exception. Goose3 is turning over some exceptional circulated coins for his uncle right now on the marketplace. Goes to show that some had a taste for quality coins.

I check the paper every day. You never know, what to expect. You need to get to the sale early. I've picked up some nice stuff.

HEY, NEW TO SITE AND MESSAGE BOARDS BUT I HAVE A COIN, I THINK IT'S A CHINA MING???? ANY HELP IDENTIFYING IT???

What you have is known as a Chinese Cash Coin... Fairly common and worth from $5.00 to $10.00 ... I wish it was Cha Ching...