• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your observations on NGC sample slabs

10 posts in this topic

I would like to pick your brain, especially the dealers out there that have been around for a while.

How many different sample slabs have you seen that came out of NGC? I know about the state quarter ones, and the dimes, steel cents and Kennedy halves, but what about other denominations? Any neat world coins?

Cameron Kiefer

Me neither, but I got a postcard in the mail with a guy that has a NGC German 1923 500 million mark coin in a sample slab supposedly. He may accept my offer, and if so I will be sure to post it when it comes. It may be an unknown type.

Cameron Kiefer

Sample slab collecting sure seems to take the wind out of the "buy the coin, not the holder" group. What's wrong with just buying coins?

Sample slab collecting sure seems to take the wind out of the "buy the coin, not the holder" group. What's wrong with just buying coins?

Keith- You're sounding elitist. We KNOW what you collect! blush.gif

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Cameron,

The German coins you describe were in the sample holders NGC was distributing when I joined the company in 1994. Others I saw at that time included silver Roosevelt Dimes of common dates.

Do you have one of the NGC red label sample slabs that were customized for the 1997 ANA convention in NYC? I believe these featured 1960-D cents.

Keith- You're sounding elitist. We KNOW what you collect! blush.gif

Nah, I just can't stand to see someone pay $60 for a MS-63 Roosevelt dime because it's in a particular holder.

And which collection you referring to? My toned Type collection, which is slowly creeping along, or my tequila collection? That one would grow quicker, but I keep [!@#%^&^] away my resources. smirk.gif